10 gauge wiring for audio 20A audio receptacles?

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

Sundown

10 gauge wiring for audio 20A audio receptacles?

Post by Sundown »

Hey all,

You can see my overall plan here.

It’s ‘go time’ and I get my new 200A panel tomorrow. Framing will be mid/late September, electrical runs will follow, then it’s onto drywall, etc.

For my audio receptacles, I’m using 20A Hubbell hospital grade outlets with tamper resistance on a GFI breaker (local code requires tamper-resistant blade openings and GFI circuits on all basement outlets). The current plan is to use Southwire Armorlite solid metal-clad (MC) 12/2 wiring throughout, with audio circuits on a star ground (a dedicated ground bar in the panel). The studs are metal so the boxes will be too.

Here is my question: I see references to using 10 gauge wire (10/2) for audio circuits, even though they are 20 amps. Is this really a thing? My runs are less than 40’ in most cases and while I don’t have a problem spending more for 10GA wire on those lines, my electrician may question what I’m doing. Do you really get a better connection with 10/2 on a 20A circuit?

Electrical is my Achilles heal so please go easy on me …

Todd
gullfo

Re: 10 gauge wiring for audio 20A audio receptacles?

Post by gullfo »

the 12/2 should suffice for 20A, however if you find you're consistently running close to 20A all the time, i'd go with the 10/2 to keep the wire temperature down. reference: https://www.fs.fed.us/database/acad/ele ... esigns.pdf
Glenn
Sundown

Post by Sundown »

Thanks Glenn,

I did a bit of reading and while I think some of these HiFi / extreme audiophile-types are hearing things that aren’t there, I’m going to shoot for solid 10/2 MC for the audio circuits.

It’s not a huge price premium once you’re into metal clad and I don’t want to look back with any regrets.

A quick follow-up question: The breaker should still be 20A, correct? The receptacle certainly will be.

Thanks again.

Todd
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

yes, it's still a 20A breaker. :)
Glenn
Sundown

Post by Sundown »

gullfo wrote:yes, it's still a 20A breaker. :)
Thanks. Electrical is my Achilles heal.

Todd