Vocal Booth Design

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

gullfo

Re: Vocal Booth Design

Post by gullfo »

the cost? probably under $1000. the ventilation is the two boxes on the door - each is a small silencer with a quiet fan in it. one intake (lower), one exhaust (upper). and they simply exchange with the larger room.
Glenn
moosevoice

Post by moosevoice »

Thanks Gullfo. Not seeing the ventilation on the bottom. Just the 2 vents on the top (red dots).
Is the bottom thing (yellow dot) a vent? I thought that was a port/connection point for mic/USB/etc.
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

not sure if that drawing is mine or not, but i'll suggest the boxes at the top are the ventilation silencer boxes which would have the fans in them :)
Glenn
Shinozoku

Post by Shinozoku »

Those are form John's original booth design put on here. I've been pricing this out myself to build as a voice over booth and would be omitting the window.
That outlet at the bottom though was perplexing me, as I was trying to think of how one might mount those on an inside-out wall and still get good isolation.

One thought, for my specific needs would be to put a 4-gang female XLR plug on the inside, then a single ethernet on the outside, so that the outer hole was smaller. Then I could just run to a breakout box at my interface, in the event that I had the computer outside the booth.
I guess you'd mount the box on some cross beams on the inside-out wall facing in the booth and run the insulation behind the box? Or run some of those high density putties around the back of the outer box to prevent leakage?
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

if the booth is inside out, then no need for anything behind the box, run the wiring as you normally would in the frame and cover with insulation and cloth. and just make sure the holes are fully sealed. the bigger potential leaks will be the venting holes.
Glenn
Shinozoku

Post by Shinozoku »

gullfo wrote:if the booth is inside out, then no need for anything behind the box, run the wiring as you normally would in the frame and cover with insulation and cloth. and just make sure the holes are fully sealed. the bigger potential leaks will be the venting holes.
So there would be no concern about building up mass on that wall around the outlet? It just needs to be sealed nicely?
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

if the outlet is in the inside out room, there is no mass except on the outside wall. unless you're cutting an opening through the mass to put in the outlet (which seems self-defeating since there is no benefit from that approach).
Glenn
Shinozoku

Post by Shinozoku »

Ah, I feel like an idiot. So I would surface mount the outlet, not recess it. That way only the wire is coming through and it's easily sealed... Right? That makes more sense.
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

correct. although if you want it flush to the surface, you can inset it into the frame - it's still not a penetration since it's inside the mass layer.
Glenn