Revamping my drum room

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

Julián Fernández

Revamping my drum room

Post by Julián Fernández »

Hey guys, how are you?

I'm thinking about raising the ceiling of my drum room. Box within a box system, and theres room to raise the gypsum ceiling... It has to be one this two options (this is the side view):

Either way Im building a couple of clouds, but Im afraid model A will get crazy flutter echo...

Any ideas?

Thanks so much!

J.

pd. Smaller room, 13 x 10 x 8... New ceiling on the highest point should be around 12 feet (on model B)
gullfo

Re: Revamping my drum room

Post by gullfo »

A would be good. you can build a peak soffit (like you could in B as well) to trap into the upper wall-ceiling corner. then some clouds and diffusers or polycylindrical panels to provide diffusion/scattering.
Glenn
DanDan

Post by DanDan »

A should do the opposite to causing flutter. +1 Glenn's advice.
Julián Fernández

A it is then. Im so glad that Ive asked before doing anything! ha. You guys rock!

About the "peak soffit to trap into the upper wall-ceiling corner". How deep are we talking about? The pinky fluffly stuff and some fabric or something more sophisticated?

Is there a way/calculation I should use to figure out how much absorbing cloud vs diffusers I need to hang?

Thanks so so much, guys! Really appreciate it! :mrgreen:
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

if you can go 3' deep from the peak. face with semi-rigid (e.g. OC703) and back fill with soft pink stuff. then on the frame - cover with cloth and then add slats increasing from HF reflection, and/or panels for lighting etc.
Glenn
Julián Fernández

gullfo wrote:if you can go 3' deep from the peak. face with semi-rigid (e.g. OC703) and back fill with soft pink stuff. then on the frame - cover with cloth and then add slats increasing from HF reflection, and/or panels for lighting etc.
Awesome! Thanks so much. Would mineral 50kg/m3 stuff also work (instead of OC703)?
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

sure
Glenn
DanDan

Post by DanDan »

Just a caution...... OC is Glass Wool, and afaik relatively rigid. Some mineral wools are quite floppy, they would sag, particularly with the weight of a lot of fluffy over them. So I recommend try to find something glass, longer fibres, and a higher density if necessary. Polyester is an option these days.
Depends on where you are, but some examples from this part of the world- Knauf Earthwool Ecose Universal Slab 100KG
Caruso Isobond WLG035
clearvoice

Post by clearvoice »

Julián Fernández wrote:
gullfo wrote:if you can go 3' deep from the peak. face with semi-rigid (e.g. OC703) and back fill with soft pink stuff. then on the frame - cover with cloth and then add slats increasing from HF reflection, and/or panels for lighting etc.
Awesome! Thanks so much. Would mineral 50kg/m3 stuff also work (instead of OC703)?

Ok so my room is to dead on the non mix side of a 21 x 12 room , I have some overhead 48" x 15" panels suspended on the ceiling to kill standing waves , and some 72" x 30" corner bass traps . Sounded perfect for my mix position but I want to liven the far end up for singers guitarist while tracking in the control room . Slats seem to do the trick , but wondering if I need put them on in some special schedule like the quadratic diffusers ... with varied gaps and board sizes ?
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

no need to create special patterns on the slats unless you're doing a lot of them, then you need to consider reflections which if too dense could be a problem. another option is to create some panels with routed slots which you can attach and detach as needed - on for the singer, off for the mixing.
Glenn