Help With Bedroom Mix Room Treatment

How to use REW, What is a Bass Trap, a diffuser, the speed of sound, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

Nature

Help With Bedroom Mix Room Treatment

Post by Nature »

Hey Everybody,

I am hoping to get some advice on how best to treat the room I have. Here are the details:

Goal: to create a mixing/composing room.

Dimensions: W 97.5" (8' 1.5") x H 96.5" (8' .5") x L 117" (9' 9.25")

Construction: 1920's home with old hardwood floors, lath and plaster walls and ceilings

Irregularities: open closet in front corner of right wall, window in front wall, door in rear wall

Planned furnishings: desk (for console, patchbays, outboard), chair, couple of bookshelves (if possible)

Monitors: Event 20/20 passives (w/ Samson Servo 150) on generic triangle-base tube stands.

I'm fairly sure this room will require a lot of treatment and I'm willing to make that happen, but I am looking for some guidance to make sure I do it right. I'm guessing that superchunks in all corners (vert & horiz), OC703 absorbers in 1st reflection areas/behind speakers, cloud over listening area will be just the start. The lobe created by the open closet has me stumped. Heavy curtain? Door/wall addition?

I'm currently piecing gear back together and saving every $ possible to put towards this (hopefully reasonable) acoustic treatment endeavour, including saving for a measurement mic (Dayton EMM-6) and spl meter (?).

I apologize in advance for missing info, imprecise data. Pictures to follow. I will get better the more I do this!

gullfo

Re: Help With Bedroom Mix Room Treatment

Post by gullfo »

consider a ceiling soffit around the edges - maybe 12"h x 16"w - this will add a lot of absorption without occupying wall space (read: shrinking the wall-to-wall distance :) ) and along with a deep cloud (12"), deep front (12") and deep back (12") (with opening for door) and side reflection control (2" deep x 2'x4') and perhaps some drapes on one wall to kill off slap echoes. simple 2x2 frames on the front back, soffit. make a cloud using same or drywall edge metal. soft insulation. cloth coverings.

add some slats or panels on back wall and soffits, clouds as needed if the room becomes too dry.
Glenn