Gobo Wheels Brackets off the shelf? Fabric choices?

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

AdirondackAsh

Gobo Wheels Brackets off the shelf? Fabric choices?

Post by AdirondackAsh »

Hello,

I'm finishing up a few 4' x 6' Gobo's, and was looking at some cool designs in this forum for brackets that mount the casters so that the gobo is lifted only very slightly off of the floor, as opposed to mounting the casters directly underneath and creating what would be about a 3 inch gap in my case.

The post below and a previous discussion mention getting the brackets fabricated locally - unfortunately in my area at a machine shop it would cost over $200 for each gobo, which I can't afford.

I was wondering if anyone has found any off the shelf brackets or casters that are manufactured with the bracket attached?

Another option would be to use "step down" casters like the one pictured. They would side mount, and could be mounted so that when they are fully extended the gobo is just off the floor. The problem with these is that they don't add any stability and would probably be pretty wobbly. They also make it so that the gobos wouldn't be able to be laid down on the floor on their 6' foot side.

I have looked and have been unable to find a free-rotating caster that is built that way, but if anyone has found one or a bracket that I could mount the caster to please let me know.

I was also wondering if it would be ok to add a thin layer of stretchy polyester fabric that you can see through, kind of like panty hose, behind the guilford of main fabric I am using over the face of these - this would be to trap dust coming off of the rockwool? Would it likely have any significant loss in performance?

http://johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2191
gullfo

Re: Gobo Wheels Brackets off the shelf? Fabric choices?

Post by gullfo »

you could use furniture slider disks so they slide fairly easily. if you do it on the long side, then stand it up once in position, that usually works well. i've seen carpet stapled onto the frame to allow sliding as well. or just make a dolly and use it to get the gobo in its position and slide it off the dolly.
Glenn
DanDan

Mind the Gap

Post by DanDan »

A local College had a bunch of Gobos built. Useless due to a gap at the bottom.
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

yeah, which is why you need some of those "sand snakes" (long sock like with a plastic bag filled with sand) to place around edges. tall units, cloth wrapped sand bags (or filled with peas, corn, etc) to seal up the gaps.
Glenn
AdirondackAsh

Post by AdirondackAsh »

Ok cool I think then for now i'll just keep them without wheels and use the furniture slider idea - I think that's pretty good.

I'm going to continue to search for a bracket to mount the wheels raised up and will post it here if find anything.

Any opinions on adding the extra layer of thin fabric to help with the dust?
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

upholstery padding under the cloth can help not only with reducing the possible dust, but can also help smooth out the fabric. otherwise a more dense thread should suffice.
Glenn
AdirondackAsh

Post by AdirondackAsh »

Thanks Glenn