Treatment Sketch - Looking for Feedback

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

margatesands

Treatment Sketch - Looking for Feedback

Post by margatesands »

Hi!

I'm looking into creating an intense, enclosed 'attack wall' type listening position in a small room.

I make electronic music, and don't mind the aesthetic of cylinders and so on. The goal would be a kind of 'room head phone' where a sweet spot has a good frequency response.

Tube traps reflect sound from one face, so can be angled to maintain the room, sort out stereo imaging and avoid total deadening.

There is no need for a desk, as I have a very minimal way of working. I'm also comfortable with DIY so can make plans like this without it costing much.

Do you think this would work? I can obviously move things around, change diameters etc, add smaller traps, take stuff out.

I don't mind the way it looks. Mostly thinking about Hz, SPL, standing waves etc.

If you think this could be organised differently, how would you do it?

Half the room ceiling is 40cm higher. The sketch below shows soffit traps added along the edges of this higher section.

Image one. The larger tubes are around 20" / 50cm in diameter, good down to around 30Hz. There are two near field monitors and a subwoofer.

Subwoofer placement depending on the ultimate design of the room. Put it here for now.

Image two. Seen from above

Top right is the doorway.

Listening position is acceptable distance from the monitors, but pretty close to the back wall. If I'm honest, this is my main concern.

Problem is, the way the ceiling is, and the way the light enters the room, I'd much prefer orienting it this way round. Facing 'the short wall' might not be the best use of this space. Hence this tube trap approach.

Here's a TubeTrap set up used to record a drum kit.

Principles of the attack wall. Here the tubes near the monitors are smaller and packed tightly. I can do this too if needed.

Thanks for reading.

Any criticism / questions / alternative ideas are very, very welcome - posting here to get some more experienced minds and think about next steps. No comment too big or small.

Greetings from London,

Mikey
gullfo

Re: Treatment Sketch - Looking for Feedback

Post by gullfo »

looks cool! remember to take before and after REW snapshots of the room.
Glenn