2 car garage conversion - Unique issue with beam

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

Roncore

2 car garage conversion - Unique issue with beam

Post by Roncore »

Hello everyone, longtime member, but I don't post very often.

Starting my 2 car garage conversion, 18' x 18' basically. Walls and ceiling are currently covered in wood paneling, and of course they will be removed, and then insulation filled.

My initial plan was a room inside a room, and just building the inner ceiling lower than the current center beam. This MAY still be the only way I can accomplish the conversion. I got to thinking about using iso clips and channel, which would eliminate a lot of trouble and space problems (especially now that lumber is insane). My issue here with using iso clips and channel would be this center beam. The exist ceiling is like an A frame with a giant beam right in the middle. Anyone see a solution with using iso clips/channel with the beam staying?

I've read Rod's book over and over and I don't believe this actual scenario is covered.

Attaching pics, thanks in advance!
gullfo

Re: 2 car garage conversion - Unique issue with beam

Post by gullfo »

how high is the bottom of the beam? if its high enough, you might consider some parallel beams to support a full flat ceiling (if you're going with a single room) or a chase box frame using decoupled isolation clips. if you need a lot of isolation you'll want to strip off the drywall and paneling to see what's going on and consider mass enhancement on the exterior walls.
Glenn