Garage -> Studio Build

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

Jag94

Re: Garage -> Studio Build

Post by Jag94 »

gullfo wrote:you have a single ground there? and it's connected to the main box ground bar? or the ground is to the grounding pole/pipe? so if you wire wall you outlets in the room with a star ground approach, you should be ok. would be wise to read up a bit on ground loops and avoiding them - in essence having your wires take one route rather than split route around the room will help in this regard. it's also important at this stage to consider what is "clean" (lowest noise, not induction, dimmers etc) side and which will be "dirty" (lighting, dirty outlets for non-audio purposes, etc) so the wiring is kept as consistent as possible. thus later if needed, you could insert some electrical isolation to reduce the noise in the electric.
Hey Glenn,

The green wire you see coming out on the lower right side is going all the way back to the main service panel ground bus bar. The 4 gauge stranded wire you see coming out on the lower left side is directly connected to the ground rod outside the studio.

The green ground wire (coming from the lower right) SHOULD be connected to the ground bus in this sub-panel as well (which I didn't do yet). But my biggest question is figuring out where the star ground tie into this whole picture. Like I stated in my initial post above, I think I screwed up by not having 2 ground wires coming from the main service panel - one to go to the sub-panel ground bar, and one to go to the star ground bus bar.

I have a read a lot of the recourses and papers on ground loops and such, and while I understand the concepts, I'm struggling with applying those concepts to my specific situation.

My plan was to have each receptacle's ground conductor make a "home-run" all the way back to the sub-panel to the star ground point, so each ground conductor would only be connected to it's respective receptacle and the star ground point... no other connections, and one clean line straight back to the sub-panel.

I mentioned using one leg for "clean" electricity and the other for "dirty" electricity to the electrician, and he advised against it because he said it would create a really unbalanced situation. If the mini-split, ERV, fridge, lights were all on one leg, that leg would be pushing far more power than the other leg which just had audio equipment. Does that make sense? Or is that not something I should be worried about?
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

there should be no electrical potential across the two grounds? so you should be able to use either ground for the star grounding - i'd like to suggest using the earth ground but you should triple check for any voltages on the two grounds as that would be a problem.
Glenn
Jag94

Post by Jag94 »

I have a lot to update, but I don't really have the time (new baby and all, who is doing great!).

I want to build a drum riser using Grewor's design (below). But I want to make one addition to it, and also have some questions on materials I can use. I have a LOT of 3/4" OSB and 1/2" structural plywood left over. I would rather not go buy the MDF and plywood that is described in the diagrams below as I'm so far over budget its making me cry. Is there a way to use the OSB and plywood I already have to make an effective riser?

The addition I want to do, is to add casters to the bottom. I want to be able to move the whole kit to different parts of the room if necessary. Can I simply use some of that 1/2" structural plywood to create a strong base for attaching the casters, then put the 703, then the layers of OSB/plywood to make the top platform?
Drum Riser1.jpg
Drum Riser2.jpg
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

actually this is my design from the 3D warehouse :-) including my model of a TD-3 drum kit :-)

yes, you can use the 3/4" OSB and 1/2" plywood. the design is about "optimal" mass but really anything close will suffice.

enjoy!
Glenn
Jag94

Post by Jag94 »

Glenn,

Holy crap I'm so sorry! For some reason I thought this was Gregwors design. I've seen this design about a thousand times in all the build threads I've gone through - can't believe I messed that up. Thanks for sharing it. Also thanks for the reply. I'll post my results when I get around to building it.
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

no worries, i think my 3D warehouse models have probably been used many thousands of times by many people all over the world (in total my models have over 100K downloads - some more popular than others :wink: ). people add them to their own collections, link to them, download, etc. it's why i freely publish them 8)
Glenn
dmac6606

Post by dmac6606 »

Wow, so impressive. I will be moving into a new place with a detached converted garage eerily similar to this. Hoping to do as much work as possible to improve the isolation. Very inspiring to see such hard work being done.

How much isolation did you end up achieving? Do you mind sharing what this whole thing cost you?

Hows the studio looking these days??