Suggestions on home studio design

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

normans

Suggestions on home studio design

Post by normans »

Hello forum , Im pretty much new here,

I wanna adapt my place for ahome studio ,

I have sort of 3 rooms available for doing what i want, of course i could modify some stuff like , where doors are, or removing windows etc, but the idea is to make advantage of whats already build .
I know that the rooms dont have a very good measures but there must be something to do , so it sound the best it can..
I will attach a drawing of the rooms .. very basic , but just to give the idea..

All the construction is made of Bricks , and the back room is made of Concrete blocks.. just the outer wall..
PHOTO-2021-04-30-16-21-52.jpg
I plan to use this room as a control room , 3.80m x 4.20m x 2.50 .
PHOTO-2021-04-30-16-21-57 2.jpg

PHOTO-2021-04-30-16-21-57.jpg
PHOTO-2021-04-30-16-21-56.jpg

I was thinking in placing a windows next in that space between the closet and the wall , but i can also close that door and place the windows in the middle so its more symmetrical..
PHOTO-2021-04-30-16-21-55.jpg
PHOTO-2021-04-30-16-21-55 2.jpg
PHOTO-2021-04-30-16-21-54.jpg
PHOTO-2021-04-30-16-21-54 2.jpg
PHOTO-2021-04-30-16-21-53.jpg
PHOTO-2021-04-30-16-21-53 2.jpg
So thats pretty much the 3 rooms , right now they are not connected... im in doubt about what to doo, I got the middle room re do. because the ceiling was falling apart so thats why i made it higher...

So my plan was to use the first room as control room , and the middle and back room as live room or maybe i can also make a iso boot where the restroom is.. but im not sure.. in what would be the best thing to do.
Also what do u guys recommend in terms of acoustic treatment , maybe leave the middle room more live and the back room more deaden ?..
And for isolation? im not like super worried about it but would be nice to have a little bit of isolation at least in one room ,
what you guys think? I hope i explained my self i suck at it , and suck at english too ,
Greetings from Mexico !

THANKS
norman
gullfo

Re: Suggestions on home studio design

Post by gullfo »

maybe remove existing doors in middle and far (top) room and replacement with sliding doors so you can see through from CR (bottom room) to live room using the middle room as isolation room or air lock. i'd keep the bathroom but you'll want to sort out the door into it. there are a lot of discussions about proximity of the bathroom to rooms where people tend to work (odors) and path (what is least disruptive)?

adjust window in CR (bottom) room to center if facing that way (meaning new sliders are on your right), or leave as-is if facing opposite (meaning the new sliders on on your left).
Glenn
normans

Post by normans »

Thanks again for answering Glenn

The thing is that the middle room , I want to use it for recording drums.. to take advantage of the ceiling height , I was planning in making a drum gazybo or somthn so i cant control de dryness, but not sure what kind of acoustic treatment i should use..
I guess ill remove the existing doors as u suggested...

But im not getting what u mean with :

adjust window in CR (bottom) room to center if facing that way (meaning new sliders are on your right), or leave as-is if facing opposite (meaning the new sliders on on your left).

I didnt noticed that the picture was sideways
In the drawing i attached the top room is the control room, and has that door behind the closet, (as the pictures show)
and the bottom room is the one I want to use as (Live room) ( but i dont want it so live) , and the middle for like a drum room for big drums , and using the gazybo for adjusting.....

THANKS
norman
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

ok, the idea is a visual path across all three rooms - or - use cameras and TV monitors to act like "windows". often less expensive and leaves more solid isolation walls intact.

for the "drumbrella" - it's basically alike an, er, umbrella "cloud" which you can raise and lower (use a pully and electric winch). and consider reversible panels on the walls for more or less liveness.
Glenn