Skylights in the control room

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

dlp

Skylights in the control room

Post by dlp »

I'm converting my garage into a control room, which is roughly 22' x 20.5' I plan on installing (2) 14.5 x 45 3/5 skylights on one side of the ceiling angle.

The skylights will be double glazed.

1) is this a bad idea?

2) if this isn't a bad idea, should I be looking for a special brand of skylight?

Thanks!
Paulus87

Re: Skylights in the control room

Post by Paulus87 »

dlp wrote:I'm converting my garage into a control room, which is roughly 22' x 20.5' I plan on installing (2) 14.5 x 45 3/5 skylights on one side of the ceiling angle.

The skylights will be double glazed.

1) is this a bad idea?

2) if this isn't a bad idea, should I be looking for a special brand of skylight?

Thanks!

If it is out of the reflection free zone and does not cause unwanted reflections back to the listening position then it is ok, providing you have enough treatment with them installed.

By double glazed do you mean two coupled thin glass panes stuck close together with a gas fill?

Or do you mean two separate thick and dense panes not touching with a significant gap between them?

If the former then yes it is a bad idea, they will audibly resonate. If the latter then it would be ok, depending on the rest of your ceiling/roof/wall assembly.
Paul
dlp

Re: Skylights in the control room

Post by dlp »

Hey Paul,

The skylights will be in the back angle of the ceiling, so no reflections.

Regarding the double glazed, I'm still waiting for some information, but I would think, two separate thick and dense panes not touching with a significant gap between them.

Thanks!