control room design, build, acoustics

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

konspan96

Re: control room design, build, acoustics

Post by konspan96 »

gullfo wrote:so next step - hanging a bunch of absorbers on the walls and ceiling. 600mm x 1600mm x 100mm on the walls, first reflection points, and 600mm x 1600mm x 200mm absorbers on the ceiling. after first reflection points, spacing them about 400mm-600mm apart.
Nice, thank you for answering. :D
About first reflection points, the whole front area of the room is designed so no reflections lead back to my listening position (except the floor), the angles of the walls and ceiling (wooden areas that you can see in the pictures) are designed to lead the reflections to the back of the room. Can i avoid hanging absorbers there? If yes then following your above instructions, i will hang three panels to the left wall 2 to the right wall (because there is a window :( ) and 6 to the ceiling. The whole rear wall will be absorptive.
Would it make a huge difference buying them from Gik than building them my own?
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

there is always reflections :) it's a matter of finding which ones are problematic. even though your design is meant to avoid reflections at the listening position, in reality, there will be some because most speaker HF drivers will have greater than 60° horizontal dispersion and likely 20° or more vertical dispersion. and the cross-firing of the speakers mean there will be reflections. so adding absorption - prefer open sides - just past your side baffles can help. same on the cloud. also, in front of your console or desk (or on the lower position of the front wall) as that will reflect back to the hard front wall and then scatter which can be problematic as well.
Glenn
konspan96

Post by konspan96 »

gullfo wrote:just past your side baffles can help
do you mean option 1, 2 or 3?
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

position #1 those flat surfaces. you're likely going to need a bunch down the length of those walls to kill off slap echoes as well.
Glenn
konspan96

Post by konspan96 »

gullfo wrote:down the length
Do you mean the same height with the side walls? Or the same length?
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

space a series of absorbers along the length of the wall. so you'd have an absorber in position #1, then further down the wall towards the back, you would have another, and another etc. you have parallel surfaces. those surfaces will generate reflections between them - you'll hear them as slap echoes and phase shifts. so attenuation of those is important as well as general attenuation of indirect sound energy in order to achieve the frequency and time responses you want.
Glenn
konspan96

Post by konspan96 »

nice, thanks for replying!

So, i am thinking of doing something like this following your above details for the size of the panels. Posting a rough skethup with not exact room dimensions, yellow means absorption and those on the ground are meant to be on ceiling. I also was thinking of something like a sliding panel for the window.
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

a sliding panel or shutters. a novel approach might be a 20mm polycarbonate sheet on sliders, or hung, with the absorbers attached so you could still get some natural light between the absorbers, plus, if not done already, add some additional isolation over the windows.
Glenn