16' x 20' control room RFZ question

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

gregdx7ii

16' x 20' control room RFZ question

Post by gregdx7ii »

Hello all,
I am working on a control room in my basement of a new house just built. The control room will be 16' x 20' and I am going for a RFZ type design. The ceiling is 9' high. Can the rear wall behind the mix station be ledgestone for diffusion or would it be better to have 4" absorption on the rear wall?

The walls will be wood and there will be absorption between the monitors in front of the console station and the monitors will be soffit mounted with absorption behind.

Should the ceiling be tilted front to back, say a foot or so, or should I just erect a cloud above the mixing station.

Thanks for the opportunity to ask!
gullfo

Re: 16' x 20' control room RFZ question

Post by gullfo »

welcome. 4" of absorption on the back wall will likely not be enough, but certainly a combination of absorption and reflection on the back wall will be useful. if the monitors will be set into a baffle system, then the full combination of baffle system should include reflection, absorption, trapping, directivity, etc.
Glenn
DanDan

Re: 16' x 20' control room RFZ question

Post by DanDan »

There is often no need or benefit to absorption on the Front Wall. Seems like a long room, so a tilted ceiling would prevent flutter echo. This would allow a live area behind you for recording, and for a bit of Room Bloom behind you. You will certainly still need a cloud in your Zone Without Early Reflections ZWER.