Small home studio in the Netherlands

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

Bastiaan

Small home studio in the Netherlands

Post by Bastiaan »

Hi all,

I am going to build a building in my garden in 2021, and in 2022 I want to build a studio in it. For the construction part, I have a separate thread here: http://johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22298 where I have received great advice.

Now, to finalize the construction plan, I need to determine the layout of the studio, so I took the sketchup file from Scotts studio that John Sayers has shared on this forum here: http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5457
and rearranged it to my available space. I am thinking about the size and location of the baffle boxes that I still need to add.

Any input to the design is greatly appreciated, especially tips that may improve the acoustics.
I used the seppmeyer room ratio of 1 : 1.14 : 1.39. The dimensions of the room are 2.65m high, 3.021m wide, 3.6835m deep.

Kind regards,

Bastiaan
top view.png
top view 2.png
slats1.png
slats2.png
gullfo

Re: Small home studio in the Netherlands

Post by gullfo »

in general, it looks like a good approach. key to the baffle assembly will be deciding on the speakers.
Glenn
Bastiaan

Post by Bastiaan »

Hi Glenn,

Thanks for your response. Could you elaborate on what is important? I have a set of Genelec 1030as which I am quite fond of.

Kind regards,

Bastiaan
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

if you have the older 1030A (rectangular, not the newer rounded version) then soffit mounting becomes pretty straightforward since the ports are on the front so you'll only need to vent the built-in power amps. if you were (are) trying to mount the newer rounded version the job becomes much harder since a) the ports are in the back, b) you'll need to do some fancy bezel building to get the face of those units relatively flush with the baffle plate.
Glenn
anodivirta

Post by anodivirta »

gullfo wrote:if you have the older 1030A (rectangular, not the newer rounded version)
I think all genelex 8xxx have rounded edges and most 1xxx are rectangular (apart from 1029,1022 and some old weird units)
Bastiaan

Post by Bastiaan »

True. My monitors have a rectangular shape, so easy to build in :D
Bastiaan

Post by Bastiaan »

Hi,

Somebody in my neighbourhood offers 1032As second hand. I am trying to figure out if it is a sensible upgrade to my 1030As to put in the soffits. The 1032A has a 10 inch woofer and a 1 inch tweeter, the 1030A has a 6.5 inch woofer and a 3/4 inch tweeter. My future room is only small, 3.021m wide x 3.6835 m deep x 2.65 m high. According to Genelec, the 8040 (which is the successor of the 1030A, with similar specs) is capable of handling a room of 85 m3, while my room is actually 29 m3
monitor placement.png
Also, the recommended distance of the 8040 and the 1032 do not differ too much

I have done a test with my 1030As on a 1.4 m distance with a good sound pressure level meter, and they go beyond 100 dBA without distorting with mastered music. I could not go further without hurting my ears :). With ear plugs it is not possible to determine distortion

I'm in doubt if I should go for the 1032As, or purchase a subwoofer to complement my 1030As. I am not sure if you are familiar with this post: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/studio- ... rooms.html. It states that I need 20 dB of head room on top of the 85 dB listening level. I think I am good with the 1030a's, but really interested in your input
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

the 1032 would be a better choice for baffle mounting. but i'd spring for a good quality pair of subwoofers and stands for the 1030s.
Glenn
Bastiaan

Post by Bastiaan »

Hi Gullfo,

Thanks for your response. I know you design studio's for a living, so I am inclined to take your advice very seriously. Why would you prefer 1030As on stands + subwoofers over baffle mounted 1032As?

Is it because it will improve my results, or for another reason (e.g. reduced cost, effort, chance of success, not worth the trouble in such a small room)

Thanks,

Bastiaan
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

it's a small space, in my true preferences i'd do both :-) 1032 baffles, 1030 on stands + dual subs used in both situations.
Glenn