Proper Direction for Drywall on Metal Studs

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

Sundown

Proper Direction for Drywall on Metal Studs

Post by Sundown »

Hi Guys,

I'm learning about construction and framing, and everything I know so far says that drywall should always be hung horizontally and butt-to-butt and seam-to-seam (with staggered joints).

But I've watched some videos on steel stud framing, and it sure seems like many of the contractors are mounting it vertically. Maybe it's because they are commercial spaces with high ceilings, or maybe commercial settings don't have the same fit & finish as a residence.

Just to confirm, hanging drywall horizontally for a home studio is still the way to go, correct?

Thanks in advance.

Todd
gullfo

Re: Proper Direction for Drywall on Metal Studs

Post by gullfo »

either approach is valid. depends on the wall spans and ceiling heights. if the ceiling is 8, 12,16 ft then vertical could mean less cutting/waste. sometimes both horizontal and vertical in layering. for lighter metal studs the drywall horizontal can add some strength by spanning more studs together. then again, a good practice is to line the room with OSB or plywood first as it makes a more rigid structure and easier on the nailing
Glenn