One Big Room

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

gullfo

Re: One Big Room

Post by gullfo »

the concave roof will not be good acoustically - however since (depending on your isolation requirements) will likely be building some structural bits in there, you could change that, perhaps even creatively like alternating angled ceiling segments to fix acoustics in live and make it something interesting, and proportional wide for the CR.

any ideas on how you would sub-divide a 30' x 50' building (1500ft2)? CR/main live room (A studio)? smaller CR+ISO (B studio)? post-prod rooms (C & D rooms), kitchen/bathroom? storage, load in-out staging area?
Glenn
Aaberg

Post by Aaberg »

Mason and Hamlin room.JPG
Thanks, Glenn. Appreciated!
I've left the drawing simple because I'm not close to final choice on building materials. Either the Quonset Hut as kind of a raincoat with double leaf framing inside, or a concrete brick building (still pricing.) I'm not very fast with the drawing program. I have put pretty much everything down with pencil and draft paper.

"the concave roof will not be good acoustically - however since (depending on your isolation requirements) will likely be building some structural bits in there, you could change that, perhaps even creatively like alternating angled ceiling segments to fix acoustics in live and make it something interesting, and proportional wide for the CR."

This photo of my previous piano recording room shows what we did pretty successfully with a domed roof. It's a little small for what I want now and is 3 hours away. Thus the new building. I made some big mistakes in the listening room with the last studio by believing architects and not consulting studio designers, but the recording area worked well.

"any ideas on how you would sub-divide a 30' x 50' building (1500ft2)? CR/main live room (A studio)? smaller CR+ISO (B studio)? post-prod rooms (C & D rooms), kitchen/bathroom? storage, load in-out staging area?"

The simple drawing is really the design I have at the moment. It's a contol/listening area with storage on either side, opening to a large practice/recording/teaching room. That's what I want until convinced or advised otherwise. The building is 20 feet from the house so I don't need a bathroom. Trying to save money. I have doors, loading slab, and furnishings on my pencil draft, but am waiting to put that in a Sketchup file until I know where the listening area and control room will be. I'm not too familiar with procedure on the forum. Should I be re-posting drawings that I already posted so people don't have to go back 8 replies? I've had complaints from moderators about starting a new post so I've kept all thoughts in this one. Good? Thanks.
'You've got to find some way of saying it without saying it." Duke Ellington
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

generally speaking the rounded concave surface will cause a focal point of acoustic energy which may or may not be conducive to your desired room acoustics. i don't know what the construction of the piano room with the $30K piano in it is, but i suspect it's not simply some hard dome room like the hut your considering :wink:

so regardless of the shell you buy/build - a control room by it's name requires "control" of the acoustics - room ratios, treatments, equipment, etc. so that will take some planning and i'm pretty confident that a concave ceiling in the CR will not be a good choice. who knows? a concave ceiling in the live room space may turn out to be perfect. and if it's not, you can fix it later by doing things, e.g. hanging poly-cylindrical waveguides along with absorptive clouds to shape it and retain liveness.

ultimately the acoustics in the live room should be tested and adjusted for your desired purposes. it's also an option to build in adjustable treatments to increase/decrease liveness, diffusion, as well as moveable treatments like gobos etc to accommodate different use such as live performance recordings with all the players in the same room :yahoo:
Glenn
Aaberg

Post by Aaberg »

The Bin outside shot Winter reduced (1).jpg
Thanks for hanging with me, Glenn. Here's a photo of the old studio before it was completely finished and landscaped. The bin is where the piano room was built. It was very well isolated and the sound was controllable. I think I overspent on insulation/isolation, so am trying to avoid that with the new building. I sprayed the inside of the steel with urethane foam to seal it. Then put as much cellulose foam as I could, then left a 6" airspace and built a 2X6 frame completely isolated from the floor and ceiling with Corning 703 between the studs and 2 layers of dry wall. I then filled the cavities with blown-in insulation. You couldn't hear an outside sound in that room.
Yes, I have plenty of Gobos and absorptive panels from the old studio to mess around in the recording/performing/teaching room. What I really want to figure out is whether it's possible to build the 2-leaf structure inside the new Quonset Hut without spending as much as I did before. I'll get back to the drawing program if that helps.
I'm going to avoid trying to keep any curvilinear surface as you suggest. Hanging that much drywall, etc. from a faked curve surface will be too expensive and difficult anyway. Just an architectural dream that I'll jettison.
The question is:
Do I have to isolate both walls of the 2-leaf structure from the outside of the steel building to avoid a 3-leaf system?
Thanks.
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

i think if the structure is (from outside in): steel shell (presumed thin), wood or steel frame filled with spray-in closed cell foam insulation, drywall mass, air gap, inner framing filled with insulation (tbd), drywall mass. should work. ideally if the exterior mass could be added to the outer shell and then fill that framing with insulation (tbd - but not sprayed), that would be more effective.
Glenn
Aaberg

Post by Aaberg »

Thanks, Glenn. Makes sense.
Will keep this thread going as I build since some were interested in the one room concept. Won’t start building until later in the Spring so I have lots of time to plan. I think I should lay out the usage of this room:

This will be a multi-use studio for composing, teaching, recording, and tiny concerts.
-Most of the recording time will be me as engineer recording solo piano, hand percussion, accordion, and Hammond Organ with Leslie speaker as well as plugins and electronic keyboards..
-Depending on the market, I’ll also offer solo piano recording to people who need a short demo or even a record. I have 2 pianos: a Yamaha S6, and a Mason and Hamlin 904 Concert Grand. I’d be surprised if this happened more than a few times a year.
-At times I may record small chamber music groups, duos, trios, maybe a quintet, also just a few times a year.
Given that I won't be recording drums in the middle of the night, I need to isolate to keep noise out more than I do to keep noise in. I have plenty of absorbing panels from my previous studio, and can build what else I need. I did a little decibel level test and most noise was around 55 dB with occasional bursts of motorcycles at 80 dB.
I don’t intend to buy much equipment, since I have Schoeps, Earthworks, Neumann, AudioTechnica, and Shure mics with Grace, UA 2-610, and Focusrite preamps and an RME Multiface convertor with a powerful Windows 10 computer.
My initial desire is to have an open studio with no control room, but almost everyone seems to think I need an isolated control room. Since probably more than 95% of the studio usage is just me running back and forth between the console desk and the instruments, it seems unnecessary. However, I’m open to the idea. I would only be monitoring live with the occasional other musician using the room, but for well over 95% it'll just be me. If some great engineer moves to town, who knows....
I’ll do my drawings on paper and pencil because I see no point in trying to learn a really complicated drawing program for one project.
Thanks!
Aaberg

Post by Aaberg »

Here's the first pencil sketch of proposed studio. If it's illegible, please let me know and I'll re-do. The drawing programs are too obtuse for me. Thanks.
Meeting with builder this afternoon to see feasibility of using Quonset Hut, but this drawing uses concrete blocks filled with sand.

Aaberg studio plan - web2.jpg
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

coolio!
Glenn
Aaberg

Post by Aaberg »

Coolio won't be recording here, but THANKS, Glenn! I'll get to some more detailed drawings soon. Just met with my builder/contractor and got a lot of ideas, including separate concrete foundation for external shell and internal.
Question: If I do that, will I need as much mass/isolation on the interior structure? Assuming that I need to keep out mainly mid-range stuff from traffic.
I'm also going to see what poured concrete walls cost as opposed to blocks.
Thanks for all the help. Any criticisms or suggestions appreciated.
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

if you can separate the slabs (which requires a strong commitment on the design) that will help - room to room and if possible from the exterior wall. less structural transfer.
Glenn
Aaberg

Post by Aaberg »

Thanks, Glenn. Putting that in the plans. Trying to determine now whether a poured concrete wall is cheaper than concrete blocks. Is there a reason to avoid poured concrete? Thanks.
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

not really, properly constructed walls made from poured concrete are pretty much the most massive of outer layers. the challenge becomes what about all the holes in it? (doors, windows, and that big one called a roof).
Glenn
Aaberg

Post by Aaberg »

Moving along on material pricing list and have a good quote for concrete brick walls 12 feet high filled with cement.
Questions:
1. Is there a best material to use for a roof? I like the looks of steel, but don't know if that's extra noisy.
2. How much space should I leave between the concrete brick outer wall and the inner woodframed wall? That will be on a separate concrete slab.
Thanks!
3. The "Listening" area will have a ceiling 12' high. The tracking/concert area will be open to the rafters. I will figure out how to draw this, but if you can envision it, would I have to double insulate the open roof above the listening area (the rafters) as well as the 12" ceiling in that area? Could I get away with building a wall over the listening area up to the rafters and dbl. insulating that? I think this is hard to envision, so rather than have you guess what I mean I'll try and get a drawing done.
John Steel

Post by John Steel »

How much space should I leave between the concrete brick outer wall and the inner woodframed wall?
I don't know if you are aware of Gregwor's Transmission Loss calculator but if you haven't already used it, I urge you to do so. It will give you a solid, theoretical guide to what the gap between inner & outer leaves should be for various materials. Best wishes, John.
https://johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopi ... =1&t=21770
Aaberg

Post by Aaberg »

Thanks, John. Much appreciated.