Resilient Channel not recommended???

Get your "what mic?" frustration or "have you heard" out here. The language could get real okka in here mate.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

Shinozoku

Resilient Channel not recommended???

Post by Shinozoku »

I've been lurking these forums for some time and while researching materials and availability in my area for a potential future build (which I plan to refer to this forum as much as possible during), I came across this link:
https://www.soundproofingcompany.com/so ... nt-channel
Yet I see it in almost every build listed in this forum! What's up?
Paulus87

Re: Resilient Channel not recommended???

Post by Paulus87 »

Shinozoku wrote:I've been lurking these forums for some time and while researching materials and availability in my area for a potential future build (which I plan to refer to this forum as much as possible during), I came across this link:
Are you a spammer?

It is not used very often at all, if a fully decoupled two leaf assembly (with independent frames) is used, because it is not needed and will make things worse.

It is sometimes used where not much space is available on an existing wall for example, but is not effective in any case if high level full spectrum isolation is required.
Paul
Shinozoku

Post by Shinozoku »

Paulus87 wrote:
Shinozoku wrote:I've been lurking these forums for some time and while researching materials and availability in my area for a potential future build (which I plan to refer to this forum as much as possible during), I came across this link:
Are you a spammer?

It is not used very often at all, if a fully decoupled two leaf assembly (with independent frames) is used, because it is not needed and will make things worse.

It is sometimes used where not much space is available on an existing wall for example, but is not effective in any case if high level full spectrum isolation is required.
Oh no! Not a spammer at all. Young (ugh, I'm 31 now.. so maybe not so young...) mixer and aspiring voice actor who is getting ready to move and have opportunity to build a separate studio on the new property. I was legit researching stuff and came across this link and figured this was the most appropriate place to ask about it. since the last three or four builds I read through had used it and I was almost certain they were two leaf builds... I'll double check. But I see RC mentioned like all the time.

Thank you for your response!
Paulus87

Post by Paulus87 »

Shinozoku wrote:
Paulus87 wrote:
Are you a spammer?

Oh no! Not a spammer at all. Young (ugh, I'm 31 now.. so maybe not so young...) mixer and aspiring voice actor who is getting ready to move and have opportunity to build a separate studio on the new property. I was legit researching stuff and came across this link and figured this was the most appropriate place to ask about it. since the last three or four builds I read through had used it and I was almost certain they were two leaf builds... I'll double check. But I see RC mentioned like all the time.

Thank you for your response!
I'm glad you're not a spammer, this forum often gets attacked by them like crazy.

Yes, people do use it, either because they assume wrongfully assume it's a good idea after reading/watching wrong information on the internet, or getting sucked in by marketing. Sometimes people use it and then join the forum after only to realise that they've done themselves a disservice, and sometimes people use it because they have no other options.

It does work for its intended purpose, but is not an ideal solution.
Paul
DanDan

Post by DanDan »

That caught my eye? Obviously a fully decoupled second boundary trumps, but I am curious as to your view that RC will make things worse? I have read that steel studs can do better than wood because of the added springiness. Perhaps the use of RC is a regional thing. It does seem common stateside, as does double slabbing. I don't have build experience but from appearances and some specs there seems to be a large difference between regular RC
and the more sophisticated versions.
Paulus87

Post by Paulus87 »

DanDan wrote:
That caught my eye? Obviously a fully decoupled second boundary trumps, but I am curious as to your view that RC will make things worse? I have read that steel studs can do better than wood because of the added springiness. Perhaps the use of RC is a regional thing. It does seem common stateside, as does double slabbing. I don't have build experience but from appearances and some specs there seems to be a large difference between regular RC
and the more sophisticated versions.
Let me rephrase it:

It is not needed when build a fully decoupled double leaf assembly. The advice from Stuart, Andre and Rod is only decouple once, not twice. As to why it potentially makes things worse I cannot remember the reason, I would have to go searching on google for it.

If I get time, I will try to find the explanations.
Paul
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

the resilient channel is designed to provide isolation at a given set of frequencies by flexing. the RC will actually allow the LF below 100hz through more easily because the drywall mass no longer has it binding it solidly to a rigid frame. the rigid frame forces the wall resonant frequency higher. and the LF energy works harder to penetrate.

if decoupling is needed - properly sized isolators + hat channel will be more effective than RC. either solution will generally increase the depth of the wall/ceiling assemblies

that said, there are some cases where applying the RC on top of (say) 2x drywall and then another 1x drywall which can act as a large diaphragm panel. but then again it might not. i used something similar when a client with an existing studio design needed to increase their LF absorption because of continued sound leakage into neighbor residences. and we got lucky. but it's not the approach i would take during an initial design/build because of the risk of short-circuiting the RC etc thereby nullifying any value. not to mention additional unnecessary expense - materials/labor, and complexity.

some info about RC which may be helpful: https://commercial-acoustics.com/resili ... -mistakes/ https://www.clarkdietrich.com/sites/def ... y-2012.pdf
Glenn
DanDan

Post by DanDan »

No worries Paul, just curious. Tx Glenn. I just noticed this thread is in the wrong sub forum.
Shinozoku

Post by Shinozoku »

DanDan wrote:No worries Paul, just curious. Tx Glenn. I just noticed this thread is in the wrong sub forum.
That would be my fault as the original poster! It seemed like an aside question, though maybe I should have posted it in one of the design forums.

I really do appreciate everyone's input! I'm happy to know that I can leave out the step of using RC! Short circuiting it sounds like a positively hair-ripping scenario.