How to choose new monitors for soffit mounting?

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

Purelythemusic

How to choose new monitors for soffit mounting?

Post by Purelythemusic »

Hi,

I have an old set of Mackie HR828 mk 1’s which used to be on stands as they are near field monitors as far as I am aware...

In my new studio I’m designing with massive help from this forum, I am going to soffit mount.

My early stage design/build thread: http://johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21612

The room should be 5.95 x 3.75 x 2.5 m

I assume passive monitors are a safer bet when soffit mounting as even though passive still require ventilation, they don’t require the same level as active monitors?

What should I look for if I can spend around £1000 to £1500, is it a sufficient budget for good monitors for a one room studio?

Should I be incorporating a sub in the system if not what specs are considered sufficient low end?

I am aware that I will need to make a custom crossover to offset the effect from soffit mounting depending on the size of the baffle.
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Re: How to choose new monitors for soffit mounting?

Post by Soundman2020 »

In my new studio I’m designing with massive help from this forum, I am going to soffit mount.
Smart move! :thu:
My early stage design/build thread:
It is best to keep all the questions about your own room, in your own thread. If you ask other questions in different places (like this one) then your thread is incomplete, and others might have trouble following it later. Or you yourself might have trouble finding the answers to questions that you know you asked, but you just don't remember WHERE you asked...
I assume passive monitors are a safer bet when soffit mounting as even though passive still require ventilation, they don’t require the same level as active monitors?
Personally, I way prefer active monitors for pretty much everything these days. The fancy electronics inside the box does a way better job of tuning them correctly, than could ever be expected from the passive cross-over network.
What should I look for if I can spend around £1000 to £1500, is it a sufficient budget for good monitors for a one room studio?
That's fine, yes. It's tight, but doable. There are several good speakers in that range. Take a look at Eve Audio, Adam, Neumann, Focal, Event, Genelec, some JBL, etc. If you are worried about not having access to the controls once the speaker is in place in the soffit, then consider a speaker that allows for remote operation, or where you can take the amp out on an extension kit, or the bet of all: where the controls are all mounted on the front of the speaker: eg, most of the Eve Audio speakers are fully controlled by one single knob on the front.
Should I be incorporating a sub in the system if not what specs are considered sufficient low end?
Depending on what mains you get, and what genres you will be mixing, it might be good to get a sub as well. A sub can also often help to iron out some room issues that are hard to treat. But I would suggest leaving that decision until the end, after the room is built and the speakers are in place. Soffits can extend the low-end performance of the speakers, and so can careful digital tuning, so only decide on subs after you hear the room.
I am aware that I will need to make a custom crossover to offset the effect from soffit mounting depending on the size of the baffle.
Not worth doing. Just build the soffit, then tune the response using the speaker's own controls, or with digital tuning.

- Stuart -
Purelythemusic

Post by Purelythemusic »

Hi Stuart,

Thanks very much! Just the pointers I needed! Is it possible for you to move my first post and your response to my build thread? Or shall I copy and paste Both? I have comments but will wait until it is resolved to the other thread.

Many Thanks!

Tom
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

There is a way to merge two threads, but I have never used it, and I don't want to mess up either of your threads! The best thing to do would just be to put a link from your other thread to here, and a link from here back to your other thread.

- Stuart -
Purelythemusic

Post by Purelythemusic »

Thanks Stuart, I’ll do that and some sort of summary : )

Discussion continued on the build thread: https://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/view ... 64#p150264
Rao Shaheryar

Post by Rao Shaheryar »

I read your question then I researched at the answer is about my point of view The frequency of the first dip can be calculated by measuring the distance of the speaker to the wall. Divide 340 (the speed of sound in metres by four times the speaker distance and you will have the dip frequency. Obviously further cancellations will occur at increasing harmonic frequencies. Thank You!