Has anyone used ThermoBuilt for construction/insulation?

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

These Bare Hands

Has anyone used ThermoBuilt for construction/insulation?

Post by These Bare Hands »

I'm researching to build a roughly 18' x 20' (360sqft) free standing mixing room adjacent to my house in Taos, NM (no plumbing). I'm intrigued by the insulation ratings from thermobuilt.com, more than twice than standard SIP walls. Has anyone used this and are there any resources you can suggest for architectual plans for a space this size?
gullfo

Re: Has anyone used ThermoBuilt for construction/insulation?

Post by gullfo »

hmmm, looks like they're mostly selling house plans and related services and have some R-50 foam insulation they're selling as the ultimate in temperature control benefits. my initial reaction is buyer beware. when proclaiming all kinds of "savings" you'd want to get the details first like - over how long a period of time? 10 years? 30 years? does a cathedral ceiling actually add to the square footage of the home? or was that a mis-statement on the web site? etc. i guess if you have the budget for it, then it's possibly as good as any very costly construction product. otherwise, my suggestion only - consider a regular construction approach with known products (and specs).
Glenn
DanDan

Post by DanDan »

We use a lot of PIR? insulation here. Afaik it is about 3 times more effective than the usual fibres.
It is rigid plastic, no acoustic benefits at all.
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

i'm all for better R rated insulation for the purposes of insulation... :-) however, i'm not sure R50 is the tops for roof insulation, somewhere i remember seeing R80 but they're really just numbers so proof is in the pudding, so to speak...
Glenn