Tying Together Walls & Ceilings

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Yeah, that'd work - where does the CR door go to, and is there an airlock there? Steve
BradJacob

Post by BradJacob »

knightfly wrote:Yeah, that'd work - where does the CR door go to, and is there an airlock there? Steve
Steve,

The control room door: Bty the drawing, if you were to walk out of the control room through the door, on the left sife, the wall (outside concrete) continues along the length of the house, and to the right is the stairs going up. The rest of the basement is a workshop. Why?

- Brad

www.theSecretSystemBand.com

"...over the years, 'the-blues' has raised many children..."
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Just thinking about isolation, and single doors don't do a lot... Steve
BradJacob

Post by BradJacob »

knightfly wrote:Just thinking about isolation, and single doors don't do a lot... Steve
Steve,

Should I use a door on both walls?

- Brad

knightfly

Post by knightfly »

That would depend on how much isolation you need between your CR and the rest of the place, most likely the upstairs - Also, you want to be careful NOT to build a second doorway that limits what you can get into and out of your CR -

If your stairway and the rest of the sound path to the rest of the house are pretty "leaky" soundwise, it might be a good idea to double that CR entry - two doors separated by just the thickness of a double stud frame would help quite a bit, which might be all you need in your situation.

However, if you intend to "crank it" from time to time, and especially if there's a subwoofer involved, then more stringent methods would be necessary to keep the family from handing you a sharp knife and asking if you REALLY know what's inside your speakers :? ... Steve
BradJacob

Post by BradJacob »

knightfly wrote:That would depend on how much isolation you need between your CR and the rest of the place, most likely the upstairs - Also, you want to be careful NOT to build a second doorway that limits what you can get into and out of your CR -

If your stairway and the rest of the sound path to the rest of the house are pretty "leaky" soundwise, it might be a good idea to double that CR entry - two doors separated by just the thickness of a double stud frame would help quite a bit, which might be all you need in your situation.

However, if you intend to "crank it" from time to time, and especially if there's a subwoofer involved, then more stringent methods would be necessary to keep the family from handing you a sharp knife and asking if you REALLY know what's inside your speakers :? ... Steve
Steve,

I got two questions:

1. Now that my walls are Dry-Lok painted, would you say that the floated floor goes in first - then the walls on top of the F.F. ?

2. The control room and live room are tow SEPERATE floated floors - correct - and the double wall seperating them should be built as one wall on each floated floor?

Thanks For ALL Your Help

- Brad

- Brad

giles117

Post by giles117 »

Brad you have got it correctly. That is how you keep the rooms seperate. You have clarity my frind, go forth and build. :)
Bryan Giles

FOH Live, Live Remote & Studio Engineer
Producer

Just living life and having fun with all this talent YHWH Elohim has given me.
BradJacob

Post by BradJacob »

giles117 wrote:Brad you have got it correctly. That is how you keep the rooms seperate. You have clarity my frind, go forth and build. :)
Thanks Bryan for the encouraging words. I will go forth and build - and they come (to cut their demos, hit albums, and smash singles) LOL!!!!

I'll send ya some pix as I get started...

- Brad

- Brad

knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Just to make sure we're all on the same page here - all above is true, provided you only intend to put wallboard on ONE side of EACH wall frame between your rooms, so you don't mess up the isolation with more than two leaves TOTAL between the two rooms - sounds like you may already be aware of that, but everybody means different things when they say "wall", so I won't Ass-U-Me anything... Steve