Another MSM Question - Studio in Train Arch

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

bleaks

Another MSM Question - Studio in Train Arch

Post by bleaks »

Hi folks,

First post, but long time gawker on this forum.

I know, perhaps a train arch isn't the best location for a studio, but it's all I got!

The trains aren't the main issue right now.. it's about getting a good sound in a mixing room there.

Right now the room I'm in has an 8ft ceiling, rectangular shaped, medium sized space (would probably just about fit a four piece band).

My mixing space is in the centre of the longside (1/3 of the way from the front wall) and there is a thick brick wall about a foot behind a currently dry wall wall(!) to my left, in front of me and behind me. There is a 2x4 stud wall to my right side that divides my space with a friend's studio.

In a bid to improve both the sound and retain some heat in the place my plan is to build a 3x2 stud wall against the drywall wall to my front, left, and behind me. Will this suffice for a MSM solution, M(Brick Wall), S (1foot air gap), M(Drywall, 3x2stud, Drywall) or is there a different approach you recommend? As it stands, the room sound is quite poor and 'open' sounding, so I'm really looking to keep the sound in - without losing too much space, hence the 3x2s.

I hope that makes sense, apologies I don't have any pictures or exact measurements.
DanDan

Re: Another MSM Question - Studio in Train Arch

Post by DanDan »

Hi, we need a sketch, photos, dimensions. Pencil and paper and phone photo will work. Identify how much sound of what type coming from where, that you are trying to keep out.
bleaks

Post by bleaks »

Many thanks for the reply. I've just been back in there to get measurements and have drawn up the basic sketch below.

Isolation isn't the greatest concern at the moment. There is no way I could possibly isolate the room from the frequent noise of trains passing within my budget! I'm more concerned about getting a good room sound.

I'm open to changing the shape of the stud wall I plan to build, but again, it's not a big room so I don't want to lose too much space, perhaps doing a slight V shape of the stud wall between the front and back wall?

Once I have built the surrounding walls I will apply bass traps in each corner and acoustic treatment around the room.

The ceiling is just shy of 8ft... hoping to still manage a ceiling cloud above the mixing space.
DanDan

Post by DanDan »

I see a 2"x4" stud with 12mm plasterboard wall between your studio and your friends? Is that correct?
bleaks

Post by bleaks »

Yes, that's correct. 4x2 stud wall to my right. I'm also thinking the 3x2 wall would be better on my left for acoustics through not having the exact same type/density of surface as what's on my right.
bleaks

Post by bleaks »

I think I've decided to go with different shape, one that's prevalent, tried and tested on this forum - albeit at the expense of less space.

Some Qs:

- I presume it's okay to do this with 3x2 timber?

- What type of insulation goes behind the studs frames into the corners and around- fluffy, or are they air gaps?

- This definitely won't cause it to be a 3 leaf structure considering my outer brick leaf, air gap, and plasterboard wall before I build this inner frame?!

- Can anyone recommend a decent type of caulk available in Ireland/Uk/EU?
bleaks

Post by bleaks »

Can anyone help with this query?

My outer leaf is a brick wall > complete air gap (no fluffy insulation) < plasterboard/drywall (inner leaf), and that's my MSM as it is now, I guess.

My question is, would it be beneficial to put a stud wall in front of (coupled to) the plasterboard inner leaf with rockwool/fiber covered by fabric all around, and would this be my best option for both heat insulation and acoustics - in oppose to tearing down the plasterboard wall that's there now and starting from scratch?

I guess the issue as it stands is that there is no insulation in the air gap and I'm worried about resonances. Also, it's freezing in winter and not a great sounding room as is.

Would brick wall > airgap (no insulation) > plasterboard wall > 3x2 studs with insulation > fabric ...be a workable solution?

If anyone could chime in on this it would be much appreciated!
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

i think you can go with a 2" air gap around the brick and also your friends studio. frame out 2x3 and add 2x drywall layers. finish ceiling with same. stuff insulation everywhere. add treatment frames to hold more insulation and cover with cloth. not sure what your air situation is, but perhaps a silenced venting system with the common air will suffice. see attached.
bleaks studio v2.jpg
Glenn
bleaks

Post by bleaks »

Glenn, I can't thank you enough for the advice and the sketchup.
I guess a tear down and rebuild is the best option in order to avoid a three leaf structure. This all makes perfect sense, no point trying to find a quick fix that will only provide me with limited results.
Yes, I have air coming in and I'll need to find a route for it to go out too which should be fine.

The only thing I might change is the double back wall you have (left of the door) as there is another rear brick wall behind that, which would make that a 3 leaf wall if I was to go with your drawing?

Again, thanks so much for your assistance.
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

in "inner" walls are really just treatment frame - you fill with insulation and cover with cloth.
Glenn
bleaks

Post by bleaks »

Awesome, thanks - any particular recommended rigidity/density of insulation for the inner walls?
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

it's a small space, you can use semi-rigid 703-type insulation.
Glenn
bleaks

Post by bleaks »

gullfo wrote:it's a small space, you can use semi-rigid 703-type insulation.
:thu: