[g-sun design build] A small studio, Norway

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

G-Sun

Outer roof structure

Post by G-Sun »

I've made some new drawings for an outer roof structure
Struktur-3_1_w700.png
Struktur-3_2_w700.png
This seems relatively easy to do, while hopefully give enough strength. I can adjust with plywood-reinforcement some places.
What do you think?

c/c 60cm
G-Sun

Re: [g-sun design build] A small studio, Norway

Post by G-Sun »

Wolffman was kind enough to share of his expertise and come with a few ideas (this post).

I'm excited about his ridge beam idea, shown in his drawing here:

xSpace

Post by xSpace »

G-Sun wrote:However, Tod's suggestion about getting them out of the way seemed just so tempting.
It is still an accident waiting to happen. You cannot alter this structure just because you want to or because "Tod from the Internet" gives his blessing.

It is still going to get you either hurt or worse.

G-Sun wrote: Your suggestion for alternative design seems perfect for me.
I know it is a better fit...this is what I do. But you have to get this sanctioned by your locals, it is that important.
G-Sun wrote: Well, I guess I can get some good advice :) Then I'll ask some local builder/architect for final judgment, ideas, comments and national rules.
And this you should still do before you pull the first nail or purchase the first piece of lumber.

I get the feeling that you do not respect the structure and how and why it is built and for what reasons. You seem to keep saying that you want to do some acoustical modifications and that trumps the original structure since acoustics is far more important that what makes a building stay vertical and safe for the inhabitants.

This is where so many fail in their goals...

Good luck,
G-Sun

Post by G-Sun »

xSpace wrote:
G-Sun wrote:However, Tod's suggestion about getting them out of the way seemed just so tempting.
It is still an accident waiting to happen. You cannot alter this structure just because you want to or because "Tod from the Internet" gives his blessing.

It is still going to get you either hurt or worse.
Mm. I get you. I want the structure to be safe for myself and for future users

G-Sun wrote: Your suggestion for alternative design seems perfect for me.
I know it is a better fit...this is what I do. But you have to get this sanctioned by your locals, it is that important.
I will. Thanks!
G-Sun wrote: Well, I guess I can get some good advice :) Then I'll ask some local builder/architect for final judgement, ideas, comments and national rules.
And this you should still do before you pull the first nail or purchase the first piece of lumber.
I will (Except I bought two doors)

I get the feeling that you do not respect the structure and how and why it is built and for what reasons. You seem to keep saying that you want to do some acoustical modifications and that trumps the original structure since acoustics is far more important that what makes a building stay vertical and safe for the inhabitants.
Ok, I'll not take this lightly.

I can go back to my first plan, leaving the stringers in place, let them go through my studio with decoupling regarding inner walls. It would make some parts of the building-process easier, other harder.. I would still have some 207-211cm hight and not compromise acoustic hight.

But, if, and only if, I can pull out a plan that removes the outer stringers from going through my studio, without compromising structure strength, it seems like a good idea for my studio.

I ask, read and listen. That's why I'm writing here.
xSpace

Post by xSpace »

If I lived closer I could be of more help. I just want you to get the best you can but you have to stay healthy, as does your structure.
G-Sun

Post by G-Sun »

xSpace wrote:If I lived closer I could be of more help. I just want you to get the best you can but you have to stay healthy, as does your structure.
Thank you for caring!
G-Sun

Post by G-Sun »

I could of course use Wolffmans ridge-beam idea for the other structure as well,
or even a combination of the ridge beam and the scissors.

I'll take my plan to some local pros, hopefully today.
G-Sun

Room-size

Post by G-Sun »

What is best:

My inner length of the room is 4176mm
(with 15mm space between inner and outer studs)

I can adjust the width of the room to 3546mm - 3616mm (15-50mm airspace between inner and other studs)
or 3686mm - 3756mm (15-50mm airspace)

Height is adjustable, depending on design, with hanging acoustic cloud. Somewhere between 2500mm and 3000mm i guess.

Larger is better?
50mm airspace is better?
Less cubic is better?
G-Sun

Sub-roof

Post by G-Sun »

I'm starting to believe the sub-roof-plates are 3mm or something (it's hard to see but it seems so).
Together with the corrugated galvanized iron, it's not good enough is it?

It should match my walls:

G-Sun

Demolish

Post by G-Sun »

I'm starting to believe it might be easier for me taking down the whole shed and start from the bottom.
Hmm..
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

That is a real possibility. It would give you much greater control over the design, with fewer limitations and restrictions posed by the existing structure... It might even be possible to save and re-use some of the materials.

- Stuart -
G-Sun

Post by G-Sun »

Or build a new house on another spot.

I had in mind a budget of 10-30 000 NOK ($1640-$4920),
but as it looks now I don't know if/how to finance this.

One thing was if I had a lot of building skills and experience,
and had all the tools and resources,
but that's not really the case..

Just feeling a little sad :cry:
xSpace

Post by xSpace »

Your build is in there somewhere G, the key is to recognize your limitations and understand this is a terribly complicated process on many levels.

A moment of sadness is best used to evaluate what it is you were expecting and to review all the known limitations and all the positive aspects and try to salvage the project.

Knowing what you "can't" do will lead you closer to what you "can" do.
Precalf1944

Post by Precalf1944 »

G-Sun wrote:I'm merging all my threads into this one,
hopefully making it easier for you (and me) to follow.

Please comment only in this thread :)

A comprehensive blog about the project can be found here:
http://geir-music.blogspot.no/2012/08/b ... d-toc.html
I'll try to update the posts according changing plans and progress.

Update: Width of the room is gonna be something like 4,10m. Issue: Cubic is not wanted is it? (Length: 4,20m)

Below I'll try to sum up the current status of my plans,
and corresponding threads.