Basement room for mix and mastering

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

makhour

Basement room for mix and mastering

Post by makhour »

Hi everyone

I am Mohamad from Lebanon and i need your help.

I have single basement room in my home and need to convert fo mastering and mixing room , since in my country we have economy crisis and can't rent big appartement.

The basement room is a single room under the sunroom. I reach it through a terrace, and then there is a single door to enter.
This room or basement has walls of reinforced concrete on all sides with a thickness of 25 cm for each wall, and three of these walls have infinite thicknesses as they are under the basis of the building, or it can be said that it is under the ground and the ceiling is made of concrete, with iron pillars i put rockwool between them.
I do not need isolation since I live in a mountainous area, with no trains, planes, or cars.

I think to make studs and put between rockwool 4" 48kg/m and cover with fabrics.

My room sizes:
Length: 685cm
Width: 358cm
Height: 280.
Concrete floor is not tiled yet , I may lose a few centimeters in height after tiling.
The room definitely needs ventilation, and the room sizes do not match the golden ratio or the Bolt area, I need your opinion and discuss stage by stage to reach A mastering and mixing room that make me to accomplish my professional work.
I put a drawing of the room.
excuse me, I am doing my best to draw it and also my English is not perfect.
DanDan

Re: Basement room for mix and mastering

Post by DanDan »

Concrete reflects all frequencies even the lowest LF. Your room has plenty of length so I would start with a very deep Back Wall trap. 24 inches at least. The whole wall, simple wooden frame, fill with the lightest fibre, which is also luckily the cheapest. Use wire or wood to prevent it from sagging down over time. Cover in fabric and include Laths if you wish.
IMG_20171006_123652540.jpg
makhour

Re: Basement room for mix and mastering

Post by makhour »

Thank you dandan
Okay i can make big bass trap on rear wall , i have 1 meter to door , what about sides walls and front wall ?
Can make front wall with slated wood ? How much front wall depth ? Same as rear wall or more ?

Cheers...