Small Studio/Media Room, 19m2

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

Yamaoka86

Small Studio/Media Room, 19m2

Post by Yamaoka86 »

Hi there,

this is my first post on this forum.

First of all I wan't to say thank you to this great community for all this free information, just incredible. I'm very thankful.

We plan to build a new floor upcoming year including my new studio room. The dimension would be around L:530cm W:360cm H:260cm. The is some room for little changes if needed for the dimensions.

There will be two fixed windows which I can't change in position and overall size.

For now I have to figure out which direction would be better as a starting point for the studio design. Therefore I'll attached some 3d visual graphic how the room could be in my imagination.

I have no restrictions in case of the treatment volume in the room besides the fact that the left side window will be seen on the house front all the time. So I can't place Absorption panels there. Maybe a sort of angled acrylic glass?

It has to be my daily working space as a commercial composer but also sort of an entertainment room for watching movies and listening to music with the family.

I would love to hear what you guys think about the direction for listening position. Should I go for the window or door side as the front wall?

sincerely
Christoph
DanDan

Re: Small Studio/Media Room, 19m2

Post by DanDan »

I think your room is long enough to include deep back wall treatment. In which case, even with a monitor screen, which you could lower down and angle, I would rather be looking out a window.
Yamaoka86

Post by Yamaoka86 »

Thank‘s for your response DanDan.

I would love to sit in front of the window . I guess the left window could be a first reflection spot, is there some idea how deal with it?

Yes, I plan to go with 50-65cm bass traps on the rear wall. I would like to include two shelf’s for storage also in the traps as you can see in one of my 3D graphics.

Should I think about flush mount for my setup or will be the room to small for flush and angled walls?
Paulus87

Post by Paulus87 »

Yamaoka86 wrote:Thank‘s for your response DanDan.

I would love to sit in front of the window . I guess the left window could be a first reflection spot, is there some idea how deal with it?

Yes, I plan to go with 50-65cm bass traps on the rear wall. I would like to include two shelf’s for storage also in the traps as you can see in one of my 3D graphics.

Should I think about flush mount for my setup or will be the room to small for flush and angled walls?
Your overall plan is looking good, nice mock ups!

Either cover some of the window permanently with absorption, just far enough so that the RFZ is decent, or build a removable window absorption panel or free standing gobo that can be moved into place when mixing.

Flush mounting your monitors is a great idea, your room is not too small for that. By doing so it will take care of lots of potential issues you might otherwise face without flush mounting them.

Paul
Paul
Yamaoka86

Post by Yamaoka86 »

Hi Paul,

Sorry for the late response. Thank you for your time and advice. My wife and daughter had a cold one.. days were a bit busy.

Tomorrow we have a meeting with the construction company for further planing for our upcoming floor build. For now I have to find out if I should plan the room by myself or with acoustic consulting. I’m a bit worry when flush mount because of the wall resonance. Same goes for membrane traps, i often read they resonate to long in some cases which cause even more problems.

I’ll use neumann kh310 with the kh750 subwoofer for the upcoming studio room. The kh750 sub goes down to 18hz, so I guess the front wall design should be heavy with a solid design.

The sub/subs has to be integrated as well flush in the front wall I guess?

Stay healthy :) all the best Christoph

Paulus87 wrote:
Yamaoka86 wrote:Thank‘s for your response DanDan.

Your overall plan is looking good, nice mock ups!

Either cover some of the window permanently with absorption, just far enough so that the RFZ is decent, or build a removable window absorption panel or free standing gobo that can be moved into place when mixing.

Flush mounting your monitors is a great idea, your room is not too small for that. By doing so it will take care of lots of potential issues you might otherwise face without flush mounting them.

Paul