Another Gobo Question

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

greenlounge

Another Gobo Question

Post by greenlounge »

Great forum guys.

Some background.

I am in the process of acoustic treatment my music room, which is a combination of mixing and tracking.

I am looking to build some absorbers, FI48 100mm rigid insulation in a frame, with 50mm air gap against the wall (absorbers having no ply or mdf backs). This is being driven by the mixing requirements.

Because of the geometry of the room, one of these absorber panels needs to be moveable, since it will straddle a corner for mixing purposes but then moved for tracking. These will be of significant size (1200x2100x150). The air gap in the corner should help in this case.

I have read every topic in the forum about Gobos and still have some questions.

My questions are:

How effective would these absorber panels be as Gobos when tracking to control bleed, as compared to a traditional gobo?
My suspicion is not very.
If I turned them into Gobos, and enclosed the back with quite thick mdf or ply, how effective would they be as absorber panels, straddling the corner of the room, with an associated air gap behind them, compared with having no enclosed back?
What if the Gobos were pushed hard up against wall? How would that compare to absorber panel straddling the corner?

I feel I am missing some basic acoustic knowledge in asking such a basic question, so my apologies for the silly questions.

Am I trying to have my cake and eat it too?

Regards Rob
DanDan

Re: Another Gobo Question

Post by DanDan »

The answer to all those questions is "not very".
greenlounge

Re: Another Gobo Question

Post by greenlounge »

Thanks for the prompt reply DanDan. I thought it might be wishful thinking.

Regards Rob