Sliding Glass Doors

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

jeremyhorn

Sliding Glass Doors

Post by jeremyhorn »

Guys I'm about to order 6 sliding glass doors for my studio build. Standard 72 x 80 in doors. Two doors between each room and iso's, CR, etc. What material is the best for STC? Vinyl or Aluminum? Most likely can just afford double paned glass.
Paulus87

Re: Sliding Glass Doors

Post by Paulus87 »

jeremyhorn wrote:Guys I'm about to order 6 sliding glass doors for my studio build. Standard 72 x 80 in doors. Two doors between each room and iso's, CR, etc. What material is the best for STC? Vinyl or Aluminum? Most likely can just afford double paned glass.
STC is not relevant for a music studio since we need to isolate well below and above the speech frequency range...

Aluminium would be best, but are the frames hollow? If so that's not great. Ideally you want solid core frames and laminated glass.

double glazing/double pane glass is not a good idea for a studio, it resonates like crazy (just knock it and you'll hear it) and it has poor transmission loss, especially in the low end.

So, again: solid core frames made from wood or metal, laminated glass or at least very thick single pane such as toughened.

Paul
Paul
jeremyhorn

Re: Sliding Glass Doors

Post by jeremyhorn »

Not sure that's even possible to get here and or cost effective.