Home Studio in NYC: In Search of Acoustic Design Consultant

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

Zenon Marko

Re: Home Studio in NYC: In Search of Acoustic Design Consult

Post by Zenon Marko »

TomVan wrote:Stunning
Peace
T
Thank you, T!
DanDan

Post by DanDan »

Lovely looking work. Acoustically, I am curious, do you have a measurement? Also curious about the speaker arrangements. Do you have a Sub?
Zenon Marko

Post by Zenon Marko »

DanDan wrote:Lovely looking work. Acoustically, I am curious, do you have a measurement? Also curious about the speaker arrangements. Do you have a Sub?
Hell, DanDan -

Thank you for the kind words.

Here are the last REW graphs I did for the control room....
Far from perfect, but very usable for my situation.
The live room is...live!...have not done any measurements there, but it's been great for recording all kinds of vocalists and instruments.

Main [sic] concerns:
- sub (Yamaha HS8S) doesn't go into the really deep sub frequencies
- "valley" at 70-100Hz unless I push the mains (back-ported Yamaha HS8s) right up against the acoustic panels on the wall
- still some ringing frequencies around 50-60Hz even with the bass traps

The sub is Yamaha HS8S, and worked best in the right corner. Any "centered" bass, whether from the sub or the mains, led to inconsistent bass response around the room. As is, I believe the cross-over is now set at 100Hz, so the sub is handling most of the energy below that frequency. The result is that bass response (as well as all frequency response) is remarkably consistent all around the room (except, as one might expect, if one listens in a corner).

I don't believe the cross-over is responsible for the "valley", as the valley disappears if the speakers are pushed against the wall. Maybe I should experiment more with the cross-over, though, to be sure.

There are GIK full-frequency acoustic panels behind the speakers all along that wall; and suspended from ceiling; also 2 GIK large bass traps at back of room. The room is pretty much square (I know, not ideal, but at least has very high ceilings for a basement, and is large enough to accomodate the bass). Another challenge is that there is a lot of glass in the room, so it can be a bit bright, but I am used to that sound now. No carpeting either.

Comparison (mains spaced from wall (wide and narrow), and pushed against acoustic panels on wall).jpeg
SPL (with bass traps).jpeg
Waterfall (with bass traps).jpeg