Can you do frameless superchunk traps?

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

snowblinded

Can you do frameless superchunk traps?

Post by snowblinded »

So I've made a couple of posts here in the past about doing basic treatment (broadband panels and corner traps) for a very small home studio.

Anyway, when I started this project I'd never done any kind of woodworking before, and in the process of building my broadband panels I realized just how unequipped I was for it (I had to make four separate trips to Home Depot for a full set of wooden studs because I screwed up and had to start from scratch). So I'm inching towards the home stretch after months of having my basement clogged with 703 and borrowed power tools. I have my broadband panels build and I just finished cutting my 703 panels into triangles, and now I just need a way to hold them together so they stay in the corner (I don't have the space to have a broadband panel in front of them).

I've seen a few videos where people use a glue gun to stick the triangles together, but they always do this in addition to the frame. I really really REALLY don't want to have to go back to woodworking again (realistically that would add another month or more of Saturdays to a project that's already taken me three) so I had two ideas, but I wanted to bounce them off people here before moving forward since, if nothing else, this project has taught me the value of making sure I know exactly what I'm doing before I jump into things:

1) Simply taking the speaker cloth I'm using for the broadband panels and wrapping it as tight as possible around the "superchunk stack" once I've used hot glue to get them all in a single column.

2) Getting a roll of metal roughly equivalent to a steel coat hanger in stiffness and flexibility and using pliers to bend them into a cage of sorts that is wrapped around the superchunk stack, at which point I'd wrap the entire structure in speaker cloth to stop bits of compressed fiberglass from getting loose. Alternatively, I could wrap the triangle stack in the cloth and then put the metal frame over that.

I really appreciate all the advice I've been given for such a comparatively simple project (especially considering the projects some of the other posters are working on), and I'd be grateful for any solution to this problem that doesn't involve me messing around with a table saw again.
DanDan

Re: Can you do frameless superchunk traps?

Post by DanDan »

Even wrapped I think they would tend to tip over. Best bite the bullet, three little open shelves.... These also provide screw points for whatever front you put on.
Pegboard perhaps?
SSShelf.JPG
Caveat, I hope not applicable. The smaller SSC has been very dissapointing in my experience. The bigger one brilliant.
snowblinded

Post by snowblinded »

Now I notice there aren't any vertical supports, does that mean I'd essentially follow the process I outlined above with super glue and a fabric cover and just rest it on top of that? Also, from an acoustics perspective, is there any advantage in starting the superchunk traps midway up the wall versus starting them at the ground and going floor to ceiling? If I'm planning on doing a floor to ceiling treatment in the corner, should I still install a shelf like that but closer to the ground just for stability?
DanDan

Post by DanDan »

That is just the middle shelf, you will need three. If you make a simple picture frame, staple fabric to it, screw it to the obvious wood, all is good.