New Studio Design Layout

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

truemusicbeats

New Studio Design Layout

Post by truemusicbeats »

Hi,

I am the in the process of planning my new studio build and im trying to see if i can do this myself compared to paying a studio designer. I would have 2 studios in this building.

I attached a layout from SketchUp with dimensions.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Paulus87

Re: New Studio Design Layout

Post by Paulus87 »

truemusicbeats wrote:Hi,

I am the in the process of planning my new studio build and im trying to see if i can do this myself compared to paying a studio designer. I would have 2 studios in this building.

I attached a layout from SketchUp with dimensions.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Hi,

Please fill in the rest of your profile so we know where you're from.

Is this a build from the ground up or are you converting an existing building?

Are the overall dimensions for your build set in stone or can they be changed?

How much isolation (sound reduction) do you need? As it stands in your sketch up design you have basically zero sound reduction throughout the whole building as it looks as though you are not planning on building decoupled double leaf assemblies.

What is the massive space between the two studios going to be used for? It looks like a very over sized corridor that could be put to better use.

The overall layout could be improved by increasing the size of the rooms, moving the location of the doors and rearranging the rooms to make better use of the space. Of course, if these are existing rooms that you are converting then that's a constraint that we'll have to work with if you do not want to change it.

My advice would be to first assess how much transmission loss (sound reduction) you need so that you do not upset neighbours etc and so that you also do not get disturbed by outside noises while recording.

Then we can help you with the rest of your layout.

Paul
Paul
DanDan

Re: New Studio Design Layout

Post by DanDan »

Build and treatment no worried, but I don't think it advisable to DIY Design.
Also, it is likely that employing an Acoustician will be zero nett cost, or even save money by avoiding expensive unnecessary choices and mistakes.