Desk furniture questions...

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

elastic

Desk furniture questions...

Post by elastic »

Hey all,

Just a question about designing a desk -

I plan to have about 8U rack space at an angle to the left and right of me, (see pic of desk idea) - does it matter what angle these slope at?

My speakers will be behind them on stands.

Paulus87

Re: Desk furniture questions...

Post by Paulus87 »

elastic wrote:Hey all,

Just a question about designing a desk -

I plan to have about 8U rack space at an angle to the left and right of me, (see pic of desk idea) - does it matter what angle these slope at?

My speakers will be behind them on stands.

Ideally the whole desk should be angled so that any reflections from the loudspeakers are deflected away from the listening position or below the listener's ears. This angle varies depending on desk/speaker location, and potentially side wall/ceiling proximity.

Of course, it's not practical to angle the entire desk surface if using one like in your picture, so the racks should be angled enough to deflect reflections. Typically somewhere between 20-40 degrees should be sufficient. If you want to be doubly sure then you can work out an appropriate angle by drawing out your room and ray tracing in the horizontal and vertical plane.

Paul
Paul
elastic

Post by elastic »

Very interesting. It’s a new build room and I have the speaker locations mapped out. Not sure how to do the ray tracing thing though to work it out?

May I ask, is there any other way to work this out?

Thanks
elastic

Post by elastic »

I’m nearly at the end of my studio build, and I’m looking to get my desk sorted now, but I’m afraid of making mistakes...eg angles, reflections etc
I’d like a desk similar to the pic attached. I will also have the desk extend around me to the left and right, I have a lot of gear, synths, drum machines etc, hence the desk all around me.

My speakers will be on monitor stands, 110cm from floor (genelec 8040) , they have been marked exactly where to go on my design layout, and where I will sit. This has all been calculated already by the person who designed my studio.

I’d like my desk height to be 71cm.

I can provide the studio plans/blueprints if someone wants to work with me on this as they would be a big help to someone I’m sure.

Thanks
Paulus87

Post by Paulus87 »

elastic wrote:I’m nearly at the end of my studio build, and I’m looking to get my desk sorted now, but I’m afraid of making mistakes...eg angles, reflections etc
I’d like a desk similar to the pic attached. I will also have the desk extend around me to the left and right, I have a lot of gear, synths, drum machines etc, hence the desk all around me.

My speakers will be on monitor stands, 110cm from floor (genelec 8040) , they have been marked exactly where to go on my design layout, and where I will sit. This has all been calculated already by the person who designed my studio.

I’d like my desk height to be 71cm.

I can provide the studio plans/blueprints if someone wants to work with me on this as they would be a big help to someone I’m sure.

Thanks
Ray tracing is simple, angle of incidence = angle of reflection. You can do it in sketchup with the protractor tool.

But, why not just ask the person who designed your studio? That would be the easiest way

Paul
Paul
elastic

Post by elastic »

I did ask him to design the desk etc but it was just too much money.

I will have a go and try my best to figure it out :?

If anyone here can do this a lot quicker than me please let me know as I’d be happy to pay you for your time and expertise.

Thanks
Paulus87

Post by Paulus87 »

elastic wrote:I did ask him to design the desk etc but it was just too much money.

I will have a go and try my best to figure it out :?

If anyone here can do this a lot quicker than me please let me know as I’d be happy to pay you for your time and expertise.

Thanks
Do you have Sketchup?

Paul
Paul
elastic

Post by elastic »

I can get it, sadly last time i used it i found it quite hard to use and time isn't really on my side here to learn how to use it properly.

Im happy to give it another go
Paulus87

Post by Paulus87 »

elastic wrote:I can get it, sadly last time i used it i found it quite hard to use and time isn't really on my side here to learn how to use it properly.

Im happy to give it another go
Send me your room plans that show your dimensions, speaker position and listening position, as well as your desk dimensions and I'll see what I can come up with

Paul
Paul