Best Drum Riser Platform ( Glenn's type) that i can build .

How to use REW, What is a Bass Trap, a diffuser, the speed of sound, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

Django Janner

Best Drum Riser Platform ( Glenn's type) that i can build .

Post by Django Janner »

Hi there i've found my way to this forum while searching for Drum riser designs.

I'm playing an e drum kit in a spare bedroom above our living area . Floor is 9 inch joists 0 space insulation , 19mm caber deck , thick tread air underlay carpet. Air borne sound from the kit is low but kickkdrum thump through the floor is pretty nasty.

I'm looking to build an isolating drum riser , like Glenns design , preferably using materials i already have to hand as long as they don't compromise the build. It would need to be 150 x 180 minimum . i don't think it would need to be bigger than 180mm x 180mm even allowing for future expansion.

What i have : quite a few 19mm good quality wpb plywood sheets . 2 full packs of rw3 rockwool , 1200x600x 100 mm bats ( 5.6 square m) . 10 of 100mm x 50mm x 1200mm long acoustic foam (60 kg per m density i think)

The acoustic foam was bought for the platform ( a different design ) . The rest is materials that i have on farm that were bought for different purposes and will still be useful if i din't use them (especially the ply )

Is there any point in trying to use the acoustic foam and rockwool in a 3 tier design or is that overkill ?

My initial idea was to use 1and a half ply sheets x2 to get a 1.8 m square platform and use green glue between the layers . Then either the acoustic foam bats underneath or the rockwool. I'd like the ply to be moveable on my own so don't really want any layer to me more than 2 sheets thick as i'm guessing even at 2 thick the ply is going to be about 75 to 80 kilos .

Any help much appreciated . I have an insulated farm office building i could use for the drums , so that would be the course if the noise is still too much . A browse through the forum tells me that total silence downstairs would cost an awful lot of money so moving the kit would make more sense if the platform on its own isn't good enough.
DanDan

Re: Best Drum Riser Platform ( Glenn's type) that i can buil

Post by DanDan »

Estimate the actual load, then try to match the problem with a solution. https://www.mason-uk.co.uk/all-products/

DD