Studio build in Wales, UK...again!

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

Waka

Re: Studio build in Wales, UK...again!

Post by Waka »

Paulus87 wrote:Waka, that's so cool that your HVAC system is working silently for you, I remember reading your thread when you were going through the design of it and you put links to a few different fans and mini splits. Which did you go for in the end if you don't mind me asking?
I ended up going for a simple 150mm inline fan for ventilation + a quiet mini split AC unit.
I got the 150mm fan from here: http://www.ductstore.co.uk/acatalog/Sil ... -Fans.html with a variable speed dial.

I haven't actually installed the AC units yet, only the pipework for it, due to COVID-19 preventing me getting the exterior concrete pad done for the exterior unit to sit on (I didn't want it wall/roof mounted due to vibration concerns).

When I finally get to doing the paths and other ground works around the studio I'll get the AC guys back in to fit the split units.

I considered an ERV but decided against it for now due to budget concerns, and also due to the unit being huge (1.8m long!). I considered that in future, I can install one in a box on the roof of the studio if I need to.
Paulus87 wrote:I have a HVAC plan which is pretty efficient, however, I was just playing around with some ideas and have come up with this:
I like the look of the design, but it seems like it might not be as simple as it seems. It may be difficult to size the units. It's uncharted territory for me.

How much additional load will the booth put on the system so you can calculate how much pressure is required to push it through to the tracking room?

I don't think an AC unit in the Booth is going to be able to cool the air enough to cool the tracking room. The AC unit will be measuring the temperature in the booth and will stop cooling when the desired temperature is met. When this gets pushed into the tracking room the conditioned air will be significantly diluted by the warmer staler air in the tracking room, but the AC unit will measure the air as perfect in the booth.

Also you will get a draft. Without a circulating AC unit in the tracking room, the slow moving cool air will work through the vent from the booth and make it's way through the room towards the exhaust vent, mixing as it goes. It's likely the air near the booth will be significantly cooler than other parts of the room.

The same could apply to your machine room design.

I'm not certain though, as central air-conditioning units distribute conditioned air to multiple rooms using ducts without individual circulating units, so maybe it would be fine.

I remember reading that ducts for AC are usually sized to have higher velocity air than desired for a studio, because they want to "throw" the air to the opposing side of the room, thereby mixing in the process and preventing a cool side and warm side of the room.

You might get away with it though by getting some really good ventilation diffusers that can mix it well. There's a good spiral type shown in Rod's book that he says is very quiet also.
Paulus87 wrote:If this plan could work, then my one question (for now) is in the control room, are there any drawbacks to having the air flow from left to right instead of back to front or front to back?
Aside from my point above about no circulating unit in each room I don't see much difference here. You might have a cool back and warm front, or a cool right arm and warm left arm :lol:

Have you priced up a central ducted air-conditioning system? Eg: https://www.mitsubishielectric.com.au/d ... oning.html (Yes I know this is an Australian website, it just has a good picture).

You would have a single AC outdoor unit and a single indoor fan coil unit in your roof/machine room that feeds to all of your rooms. As you have 3-4 rooms that need conditioning, it might be easier than lots of mini-splits :wink:

And you also get the benefit you mentioned of not having any indoor units in your studio rooms. You could probably get rid of your machine room too if you had enough roof/loft space.

Dan
Stay up at night reading books on acoustics and studio design, learn Sketchup, bang your head against a wall, redesign your studio 15 times, curse the gods of HVAC silencers and door seals .... or hire a studio designer.
Waka

Post by Waka »

Paulus87 wrote:Also, anyone know what's happened to Greg? I guess he's extremely busy.
I spoke to Greg back in July. He was super busy renovating his wife's new salon. Not heard from him since then though.

Hopefully he'll be back soon when the pandemic eases off some more where he is and he can get back to recording and studio stuff.

Dan
Stay up at night reading books on acoustics and studio design, learn Sketchup, bang your head against a wall, redesign your studio 15 times, curse the gods of HVAC silencers and door seals .... or hire a studio designer.
Paulus87

Post by Paulus87 »

Waka wrote:
Paulus87 wrote:Waka, that's so cool that your HVAC system is working silently for you, I remember reading your thread when you were going through the design of it and you put links to a few different fans and mini splits. Which did you go for in the end if you don't mind me asking?
I ended up going for a simple 150mm inline fan for ventilation + a quiet mini split AC unit.
I got the 150mm fan from here: http://www.ductstore.co.uk/acatalog/Sil ... -Fans.html with a variable speed dial.

I haven't actually installed the AC units yet, only the pipework for it, due to COVID-19 preventing me getting the exterior concrete pad done for the exterior unit to sit on (I didn't want it wall/roof mounted due to vibration concerns).

When I finally get to doing the paths and other ground works around the studio I'll get the AC guys back in to fit the split units.

I considered an ERV but decided against it for now due to budget concerns, and also due to the unit being huge (1.8m long!). I considered that in future, I can install one in a box on the roof of the studio if I need to.
Paulus87 wrote:I have a HVAC plan which is pretty efficient, however, I was just playing around with some ideas and have come up with this:
I like the look of the design, but it seems like it might not be as simple as it seems. It may be difficult to size the units. It's uncharted territory for me.

How much additional load will the booth put on the system so you can calculate how much pressure is required to push it through to the tracking room?

I don't think an AC unit in the Booth is going to be able to cool the air enough to cool the tracking room. The AC unit will be measuring the temperature in the booth and will stop cooling when the desired temperature is met. When this gets pushed into the tracking room the conditioned air will be significantly diluted by the warmer staler air in the tracking room, but the AC unit will measure the air as perfect in the booth.

Also you will get a draft. Without a circulating AC unit in the tracking room, the slow moving cool air will work through the vent from the booth and make it's way through the room towards the exhaust vent, mixing as it goes. It's likely the air near the booth will be significantly cooler than other parts of the room.

The same could apply to your machine room design.

I'm not certain though, as central air-conditioning units distribute conditioned air to multiple rooms using ducts without individual circulating units, so maybe it would be fine.

I remember reading that ducts for AC are usually sized to have higher velocity air than desired for a studio, because they want to "throw" the air to the opposing side of the room, thereby mixing in the process and preventing a cool side and warm side of the room.

You might get away with it though by getting some really good ventilation diffusers that can mix it well. There's a good spiral type shown in Rod's book that he says is very quiet also.
Paulus87 wrote:If this plan could work, then my one question (for now) is in the control room, are there any drawbacks to having the air flow from left to right instead of back to front or front to back?
Aside from my point above about no circulating unit in each room I don't see much difference here. You might have a cool back and warm front, or a cool right arm and warm left arm :lol:

Have you priced up a central ducted air-conditioning system? Eg: https://www.mitsubishielectric.com.au/d ... oning.html (Yes I know this is an Australian website, it just has a good picture).

You would have a single AC outdoor unit and a single indoor fan coil unit in your roof/machine room that feeds to all of your rooms. As you have 3-4 rooms that need conditioning, it might be easier than lots of mini-splits :wink:

And you also get the benefit you mentioned of not having any indoor units in your studio rooms. You could probably get rid of your machine room too if you had enough roof/loft space.

Dan
Cool, thank you for your thoughts - you picked up on a few things I hadn't really thought about.

I was basing the idea on the exchange chamber design found in Rod's book, but upon further research it seems like it would be difficult to size the exchange room as well as the AC unit in order to be effective. I think it's definitely doable for the control room, especially if an inline fan is located in the exchange chamber so that it pushes the conditioned air directly through the silencer attached to the control room. Who knows. I won't be installing this system for a very long time anyway, since I only have the control room built so far.

Yes, let's hope Greg can return soon, he's the HVAC whiz.

Paul
Paul
Paulus87

Post by Paulus87 »

Hey guys,

So I've taken some baseline measurements of my room before I start putting the majority of the trapping and front wall in. The measurements are only rough, since the room still has a lot of building supplies and a few tools etc inside. It also has a large, empty mixing desk which unfortunately I'm not able to take out of the room now.

I was struggling to match the level for the L&R sweep, as it kept clipping, in the end I think I turned it down too much. No matter how I tried to follow Stuart's instructions I found that in reality it was much more difficult to get it right.

Still, focusing on the LF end of the spectrum these "before" measurements might be useful. Interested to know everyone's thoughts and opinions.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q0oac06iw46kv ... .mdat?dl=0

Paul
Paul