ff Studios Taipei - Taiwan

Discuss the studios designed by John Sayers productions

Moderators: Aaronw, John Sayers

John Sayers
Site Admin

ff Studios Taipei - Taiwan

Post by John Sayers »

ff Studios in Taipei, Taiwan is finally completed. TSO is a violinist and intends to record classical music in this studio.

http://www.johnlsayers.com/Pages/ff.htm

here's the building it was built in. There is heavy traffic in this district.
TSO_11.jpg
This is the floor plan - there's a balcony in the lower right area accessed via a staircase.
TSO_12.jpg
and the cross- section is:
TSO_13.jpg
Here's the result.

It's also here http://www.johnlsayers.com/Pages/ff.htm
TSO_ 3.jpg
TSO_ 4.jpg
TSO_ 9.jpg
TSO_ 5.jpg
TSO_ 6.jpg
TSO_ 7.jpg
TSO_14.jpg
John Sayers Productions

If this site helps you build your studio please use the Donate button.
TomVan

Re: TSO Studios Taipei - Taiwan

Post by TomVan »

Stunning to say the least

Re: ff Studios Taipei - Taiwan

Post by farmboy »

Absolutely beautiful!
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

That's awesome, John! WOW! Beautiful design, and beautiful workmanship too.

I'm guessing that the tracking room must be nicely live and also very tight and smooth, even down to low frequencies. I love the huge pyramid diffusers! Don't think I've ever seen them built that big before. And the counter-angles in a couple of the wall-embedded "slot diffuser reflector absorber" modules (I have no idea what else to call them!). Very original design, and I bet the effect is rather impressive.

I'd love to know what it actually sounds like in there. I'm sure it's amazing, but even the visual impact is also amazing.

- Stuart -
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

TSO HIng the owner loves it.
She bought in a quartet with 2 violins, flute and double bass and placed two HQ omni mikes 6 ft away from them and sent me the wave file. I analysed it and sent back the additional treatment.
It worked well and she loves the room.

It's similar to the String Rooms we've built in the studio in Dubai which Ahmed tells me everybody loves.
live room_2.jpg
live room_1.jpg
John Sayers Productions

John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

John Sayers Productions

asintoras

Post by asintoras »

Looks fantastic!

I have two questions:
1.- how do you guys keep the fabric stretched so well, regardless if it's on ceilings or walls. Are you able to share a construction detail of the fixings for that fabric into the panels?
2.- In a garage conversion project I am going to build (will soon post a separate thread about it), am thinking about how to build the partition walls. I have two partitions that will divide/separate the double garage from the studio. The outer layer is going to be a 15mm fireline plasterboard, and then 100mm Rockwool or similar insulation. Initially, my plan was to put a 12.5mm plasterboard on the inner layer to enclose the insulation, but can I instead put two layers of plasterboard on the outer layer, keep the insulation but put a fire-retardant fabric on the inside instead of the plasterboard? That way, I could use those partitions as absorbent panels and don't have to add a separate panel for acoustic treatment (room is already pretty small). The answer is probably NOT, but I thought I would ask anyway.

Thanks for any feedback, and I will post my plans for my studio (mixing room/live room/office space).

Cheers,
Paulus87

Post by Paulus87 »

asintoras wrote:Looks fantastic!

I have two questions:
1.- how do you guys keep the fabric stretched so well, regardless if it's on ceilings or walls. Are you able to share a construction detail of the fixings for that fabric into the panels?
2.- In a garage conversion project I am going to build (will soon post a separate thread about it), am thinking about how to build the partition walls. I have two partitions that will divide/separate the double garage from the studio. The outer layer is going to be a 15mm fireline plasterboard, and then 100mm Rockwool or similar insulation. Initially, my plan was to put a 12.5mm plasterboard on the inner layer to enclose the insulation, but can I instead put two layers of plasterboard on the outer layer, keep the insulation but put a fire-retardant fabric on the inside instead of the plasterboard? That way, I could use those partitions as absorbent panels and don't have to add a separate panel for acoustic treatment (room is already pretty small). The answer is probably NOT, but I thought I would ask anyway.

Thanks for any feedback, and I will post my plans for my studio (mixing room/live room/office space).

Cheers,
Hi,

It would be best to start your own thread (if you haven't already) where you can ask these questions.

But to give you some brief answers:

1. build 45mm x 20mm (or similar) timber frames loosely on the walls you'd like to cover, take them down and then stretch the fabric of your choice over the frames, staple the fabric on the rear of the frames. You can either brad nail the frames on to your walls, use regular nails and cut the heads off before banging the remaining length of the nails in, or if you want to be able to remove them again in an easier fashion then you could screw them and use screw head covers, or you can use dowels in the sides of the frames which keep all the frames held tightly together and then use a retaining strip of decorative trim at the top/bottom or middle to keep them secured on the wall.

2. If you do not need the isolation (or already have a double leaf system) then yes you can use the insulation in your stud bays as your acoustic treatment.

Paul
Paul