Control Room in the corner.

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

bandrus64

Control Room in the corner.

Post by bandrus64 »

In the Build It Like The Pro's, the basement design he uses as an example has almost the same measurements as the garage I am wanting to use. (My space is 19x20). I like the layout, but I have been in several professional studios, and all of the ones at Berklee, and have never seen one with a corner in the back. All of the ones I have been in have a flat back wall with resonators on it. Just curious what peoples thoughts are on this design. It also seems like it will kill any attempt to place a couch in it unless it is on a side wall. Anybody used this layout or have ideas on if I should alter the design?
Paulus87

Re: Control Room in the corner.

Post by Paulus87 »

Hi,

The rear corner provides an excellent opportunity for very deep trapping. The front face of this treatment will make the rear wall appear flat, and if your trapping is deep enough, the flat face will be wide. You can place a sofa in front of that if you wish.

It's an idea worth exploring, but if you have 19 x 20 space then a rectangular design can work very well too. What's the height?

Paul
Paul
Paulus87

Post by Paulus87 »

Also, one more thing.

Although it's tempting, I wouldn't base your build on what you've seen (or what you think you've seen) in other studios; there's many, many poorly designed (acoustically speaking) famous studios.

Another thing to remember is things are not always what they seem, often there are many deep treatments and other acoustic devices hiding behind what appears to be a flat fabric wall, a classic example is BOP studios where the fabric covered walls cover treatment up to 3 meters thick before getting to the actual solid walls.

Paul
Paul
bandrus64

Post by bandrus64 »

It is 10 ft to ceiling. I like the idea of making a bigger trap to elongate it for a couch. I like this design and the one Sayer has on here for the garage conversion with 3 rooms, although I would flip positions of the booth and live rooms. http://johnlsayers.com/Recmanual/Pages/ ... 0Plans.htm