Erie Sound Studios Build (Sandledfoot returns)

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

sandledfoot

Re: Erie Sound Studios Build (Sandledfoot returns)

Post by sandledfoot »

All, I have been absolutely terrible in posting updates, but I promise, there has been work! I have hit a wall in the control room design, so I'm hoping someone can give me some help.

Here's what I have.

The control room is 144.5" x 219.5" x 93.5". As stated in the previous posts, I was limited to layout by the physical boundaries of my house... I had 4 walls that I could not change. Dimensions are of the interior finished drywall space.
I need to now design the soffits and treatments.
I have a skp file below of what my plan is currently and a screen shot of that plan. I am unsure of the physical angles and whether or not I am in the right ballpark. Any comments would be most helpful.

SKP file was too big to upload... I can email if desired...
studio construxcion.... it hurts my brain.
Paulus87

Post by Paulus87 »

Hi,

It looks like you've already set the listening/speaker position so the rest is making everything fit. The angle of the splayed side walls is not enough to deflect first order reflections from the listening position. You probably do not have enough space to splay it sufficiently, so you'll have to use absorption. The angled side walls in your current design are not needed, you can keep them if you wish but they will have to be absorptive, and effective down to whatever frequency you'd like to attenuate/eliminate.

Paul
Paul
sandledfoot

Post by sandledfoot »

Paul,

Thanks for looking it over. It appears i used the wrong angle for the bounce when I was looking for the first reflection. If i shorten the side wall, to increase the angle, then I can get the ? I can always put an absorption hanger or front on the reflection position? I guess the other question I have, is how far back or what should be the distance away from the mix point? I drew in a 4ft diameter 'sweetspot' circle that appears to be refection free in this configuration.

The first shows a closeup of the first reflection angles. I am really only picking up the 40 and 35dg angles, everything past those bounce behind the mix anyways. You can see some underlying ray traces if it were to hit the wall without the splay, and those are what would hit the mix position, so seems the splay wall would still be warranted.

The second shows the full length of the ray trace, and appears to show I will need some serious absorption on the back wall and corners! I plan on building some traps in the corner, and if you look at the layout earlier in the post, you'll see that the entry door is in the corner... so I will be able to fit one trap in each corner with a max depth of 8", which should be fine.

Thanks All,
Kevin
Paulus87

Post by Paulus87 »

sandledfoot wrote:Paul,

Thanks for looking it over. It appears i used the wrong angle for the bounce when I was looking for the first reflection. If i shorten the side wall, to increase the angle, then I can get the ? I can always put an absorption hanger or front on the reflection position? I guess the other question I have, is how far back or what should be the distance away from the mix point? I drew in a 4ft diameter 'sweetspot' circle that appears to be refection free in this configuration.

The first shows a closeup of the first reflection angles. I am really only picking up the 40 and 35dg angles, everything past those bounce behind the mix anyways. You can see some underlying ray traces if it were to hit the wall without the splay, and those are what would hit the mix position, so seems the splay wall would still be warranted.

The second shows the full length of the ray trace, and appears to show I will need some serious absorption on the back wall and corners! I plan on building some traps in the corner, and if you look at the layout earlier in the post, you'll see that the entry door is in the corner... so I will be able to fit one trap in each corner with a max depth of 8", which should be fine.

Thanks All,
Kevin
Hi Kevin,

If your speakers have only an 80 degree horizontal dispersion above the Schroeder frequency of your room (or, the range of frequencies of interest) then it looks quite good actually. I am just OCD when it comes to this, if it was mine then I would be ray tracing it all the way from the speaker baffle and baffle to splayed side wall junction etc. But, that may be unnecessary for you and your speakers.

Regarding the mix position, I aim for 37.5% of the length of the room with the speakers crossing anywhere from 6" - 2' behind my head (depending on the room). How wide and long the RFZ needs to be depends entirely what you're satisfied with. If there's a console then I would aim for the entire length and width of the console to be in the RFZ, if there's more than one mix position such as a producer's desk behind then I might want to try and include that too. Ultimately, as long as you have an area which is big enough for your needs in order for you to make the most accurate mix decisions then that is all that is required.

Paul
Paul
sandledfoot

Post by sandledfoot »

Paul,

Thanks again for the feedback. I've read so much about guidelines to follow, in tight correlation of how a poorly done soffit can destroy the sound of the room, i'm a bit nervous to put it in action, but ... I hope to have most framing done this weekend. I know this will be a curve ball last minute, but I am designing for the Adam SV3, which I do not currently own. I do have a pair of Adam A8X and I will use those until I purchase the SV3, if I need it! But, I figure I can safely overbuild the frame and baffle, and then when needed, rebuild the enclosure box and alter the faceframe (baffle). I have not taken any measurements of the room yet, but I will this weekend...I am still waiting on the doors! But once I have the soffit and someof the treatments up, I will re-measure and make adjustments as necessary.

Thanks,
Kevin
sandledfoot

Post by sandledfoot »

Quick question... I have emptied the room of everything and I am preparing to do the layout for the soffit and splay walls. I will be taking 'before' treatment measurements, and before the soffits. I have stands to position the monitors where they will be soffit mounted adn will take some readings. However, I do not yet have the entry door! My doors have not shipped from the manufacturer, and will be several more weeks out. Should I even bother taking measurements or should I absolutely just wait until the doors arrive? It seems like I will probably want to mix with the door open mostly, so I didn't think it would be a huge deal? Thoughts?

Thanks,
Kevin
Paulus87

Post by Paulus87 »

sandledfoot wrote:Quick question... I have emptied the room of everything and I am preparing to do the layout for the soffit and splay walls. I will be taking 'before' treatment measurements, and before the soffits. I have stands to position the monitors where they will be soffit mounted adn will take some readings. However, I do not yet have the entry door! My doors have not shipped from the manufacturer, and will be several more weeks out. Should I even bother taking measurements or should I absolutely just wait until the doors arrive? It seems like I will probably want to mix with the door open mostly, so I didn't think it would be a huge deal? Thoughts?

Thanks,
Kevin
If you're concerned you could just prop up some drywall or OSB or whatever you have lying around

Paul
Paul
sandledfoot

Post by sandledfoot »

Hi All,

I managed to clear out the control room and take some empty measurements. I had hoped to reuse some of my previous studios treatments, but I decided to just start from scratch.

As posted above, I am planning on soffit mounting my Adam A8X, though I am still working on the design. I am unsure I will do bass hangers, or just fill with rockwool under the speakers. Johns design also shows a divider plate without gaps between upper and lower sections, and I have seen other designed to allow for more movement. I plan on wing walls that are mostly broadband absorbers, 4 clouds (one angled in the front, two large overhead and one in the rear), and then rear wall/corner traps.

I have a measurement attached as well as a link to the MDAT. Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GShtyT ... sp=sharing