New studio builidng

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

krisg

New studio builidng

Post by krisg »

Hi

I am preparing to go into the planning stage of a separate building for my recoding studio. I was wondering what was your general experience with the different building methods in this regard? I am planning on having the total area of around 100m2 inside, 7/8m high. I'm rather ecology minded and would like to use natural methods as much as possible. Not much in terms of neighbours.
Music is movement in stillness.
Paulus87

Re: New studio builidng

Post by Paulus87 »

krisg wrote:Hi

I am preparing to go into the planning stage of a separate building for my recoding studio. I was wondering what was your general experience with the different building methods in this regard? I am planning on having the total area of around 100m2 inside, 7/8m high. I'm rather ecology minded and would like to use natural methods as much as possible. Not much in terms of neighbours.
Concrete blocks for at least the outer leaf will provide the most amount of isolation in the smallest depth.

If efficiency and sustainability is your priority then research passive housing building concepts.

Most people here pour a concrete slab on grade and then build an inner and outer leaf from timber framing, OSB and drywall, using standard loft insulation and sometimes Rockwool. Not very ecological but easy to find and (usually) the cheapest.

Paul
Paul