home studio help

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

boattlebot

home studio help

Post by boattlebot »

ok so first post, need some help with layout and treatment of my home studio. i spent some time searching around and couldent find anything close to my specific room to get ideas from. so here we go.

lets start with room specs. one room 13 feet 9 inches wide 8 feet 6 inches deep 8 feet 1 inch ceiling height. 2 windows one door and a closet pocket door. the closet door dosent need to be accessible.
my room without stuff in it.png
the attatched files are one of the room bare and a possible layout i am considering. i currently have bass issues so i know bass traps are in order but on the one corner with the window its not far enough from the wall to put bass traps and not have the window interfear. the little jut out into the room on the bottom right corner is small. few inches by few inches so it can easily be covered by bass traps

in the one attatchment with the furniture, the big white thing near the closet doors is my desk the white square next to it is a storage bin thing from walmart the one small wooden thing in the bottom left corner represents my cab and amps and the wood square thing by the window across from the door represents my guitar rack.
my room with stuff in it.png
for treatment im expecting to have to put bass traps in all 4 corners. (thinking 703 panels 2 deep floor to cealing) and 703 along the walls but i need to figure out the where.

budget wise im looking to keep it 500ish but thousand max. if you guys here have any insight id appreciate it
SoWhat

Re: home studio help

Post by SoWhat »

Greetings boattlebot,

How much isolation do you need? (i.e. Where is the room located in relation to other rooms or your NEIGHBORS? What sorts of sounds come in from the outside?, etc.) Escaping LF is going to be a big issue for your room, especially with the window and the pocket door.

All the best,

Paul
boattlebot

Post by boattlebot »

SoWhat wrote:Greetings boattlebot,

How much isolation do you need? (i.e. Where is the room located in relation to other rooms or your NEIGHBORS? What sorts of sounds come in from the outside?, etc.) Escaping LF is going to be a big issue for your room, especially with the window and the pocket door.

All the best,

Paul
id love as much isolation as i can get but ive been working without it for over a year now. i record cabs and drums out in a storage unit i have acsess too so the only thing being tracked in here is vocals and acoustic guitars and the like. i mostly do metal and hard rock so i can get away with a bit of noise lol im currently in a hastly constructed moving blanket fort (does a surprising amount for the high end) and i plan on using some of them over the windows. but with my moving blanket fort i have a really bad 180hz node so a friend of mine suggested i ditch the fort and check out this place
DanDan

Post by DanDan »

You have two pretty much equal dimensions. I would install corner traps in those wall ceiling- corners.
Also as much Cloud treatment as you can muster.
boattlebot

Post by boattlebot »

DanDan wrote:You have two pretty much equal dimensions. I would install corner traps in those wall ceiling- corners.
Also as much Cloud treatment as you can muster.
i was planning 2 floor to cealing bass traps out of 4 inches of 703 in the two corners away from the door. due to where the window and pocket door are i cant put bass traps in those corners. i was planning one cloud by the desk think id need one in the other half of the room too?