Garage Studio Build - Checking my plans are sensible

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

RKML

Re: Garage Studio Build - Checking my plans are sensible

Post by RKML »

Soundman2020 wrote: I'm guessing that we are looking at "LR" tests in the above?

- Stuart -
You’re right, I didn't want to make everyone wade through 3x times as many graphs!

I see what you’re saying though - it occurred to me that it would muddle the high end having both speakers going. Surely it throws phase relationships all over the place, as even a tiny distance variation must affect everything.

For my SBIR hunt I’ve just been testing LR, as I guessed it would show a 99hz null either way.

For the Decay / Foil problem I tested L and R separately so I’ll put up L and R tests below.
Last edited by RKML on Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
RKML

Post by RKML »

Left
Studio Full Waterfall L.jpg
Right
Studio Full Waterfall R.jpg
LR
Studio Full Waterfall LR.jpg
Left
RT60 L.jpg
Right
RT60 R.jpg
LR
RT60 LR.jpg
RKML

Post by RKML »

I've not mentioned the 50hz room mode that is ringing on the waterfall, as I'm assuming (?) not much can be done about it at this point.
I don't think I've got space for any more bass trapping in the room.

What I've done so far has killed it loads, but it's still audibly there. I can probably live with it.
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

I've not mentioned the 50hz room mode that is ringing on the waterfall, as I'm assuming (?) not much can be done about it at this point.
It probably is possible to deal with that to a significant extent, but it's not something I'm prepared to talk about in public. I do like to keep some "trade secrets" up my sleeve! :) PM me if you are interested in looking at that. I'd need your actual MDAT file as well, to see if it is possible. I suspect it might be...

- Stuart -
chrispire

Post by chrispire »

RKML. Did you ever determine the cause of that 99hz null, and we’re you able to improve it?

I realise it’s been a long time since anyone posted in this thread, but I just read the whole thing and found myself longing for the conclusion!
RKML

Post by RKML »

chrispire wrote:RKML. Did you ever determine the cause of that 99hz null, and we’re you able to improve it?

I realise it’s been a long time since anyone posted in this thread, but I just read the whole thing and found myself longing for the conclusion!
Hi! Thanks for reminding about this thread - I had meant to come in at some point and update it.
When I was designing my room I benefitted so much from some of the studio build threads here, and I remember it being so frustrating when a thread simply evaporated with no conclusion.

I've ended up in a great place with this room. I dealt with the high end roll off by adding some thin plastic sheeting on the back-wall absorption. It was painter's drop cloth or something similar. I added it about 1m squared at a time, until the top end started to come back. I did the calculations at the time and I can't remember now, but I think I worked out that the plastic was adding some high end life to everything above 2k or so.
I also activated the high shelf function on my monitors, and now the high end in the room is lovely.

I never got to the bottom of the causes of the 99hz null. The cloud installed tidied up my midrange lots, but didn't seem to affect the bass.
I went to fairly drastic lengths to find the probable SBIR, but never did. It's a tiny studio too - just not much room for anymore rockwool in here, even if I could find the spot in the room where the peak of the offending standing wave lives.

I actually spoke to Stuart about it and made some preliminary enquiries about employing his services, as I believe some well executed digital correction at this point in the room's development could help with a very specific null like this.
I never actually got round to it though for various reasons, and as I understand it, he's not here anymore anyway.

However, despite my initial fears, the null really doesn't affect me much when working. It's funny how the graph can look scary, but the audio perception in the room is a different thing.
I'm used to the sound of it, and I know when i'm working that that I'm missing some information about my bass guitars and general 'warmth' frequencies in my mixes. I cross reference on good headphones, and adjust if I need to, but it doesn't seem to affect things too much.
I've also got that slight ring in the 50hz kick-drum area too but it is even less audible. When I first got in here I think I mixed some early versions of tracks which had slightly lighter sounding kicks as a result, but I'm used to it now, and I get good translation onto my other systems.

In general I love how accurate the studio is in most ranges. The frequency and time-domain info is lovely and accurate and gives me great confidence when mixing. It's great.

I couldn't have built this room anything like this without this forum. Stuart, for his foibles was a source of extremely helpful info, and I think his writings here are a great resource, along with all the other knowledgeable posters over the history of the forum, if you can hunt through for the info you need.
Last edited by RKML on Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RKML

Post by RKML »

Here's one of the final tests I did of the studio. I think I smoothed it to 1/3 to show a musician mate, because I felt that this is more of a reflection of how it sounds to me when I work in it.
I need to dig out the full resolution one - I'll have it somewhere.
Studio.jpg
A few humps here and there in the frequency domain, and the 99hz null, but for me the absolute value of the work I did is in the time domain. To look at that virtually straight line at the bottom of the waterfall is very satisfying. No ringing notes anywhere til you get down to 50hz.
Compared to the horror story which was the first test I ever did in this room...
chrispire

Post by chrispire »

Thank you kindly for the “final chapter” update, and congrats for making so many improvement to your room.