Garden House Studio built - Will this work?

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

Jorg

Garden House Studio built - Will this work?

Post by Jorg »

Hi guys,
I posted this on another forum which already gave me great info but then came across this one which looks perfect.

I'm having a garden house built in a few months and want to move my studio into it.
I don't work crazy loud and don't record live instruments like drums, guitar amps. Only work on studio monitors and record singers.
I don't work crazy loud. I did a measurement with iPhone apps but they seem all over the place. It gave me readings between 80dB and 100dB (which is a huge difference) of the loudest levels I'm working at.

I have a drawing of the garden house. I went to the showroom and tested my studio speakers inside the house at the loudest level I'd ever work at. Surprisingly it already soundproofed quite a bit but I do need a bit extra to be able to work at night.

After doing some research and with help from others I think I need a double leaf wall system. Unfortunately there's not enough space to make the ceiling double leaf too so I was planning to suspend the ceiling double layer plaster boards with whisper clips.

I have a few diagrams and drawings of I think it should work. Any advice / tips would be much appreciated.

I know that the windows / doors will be a whole other issue and I'm already looking into it.
Last edited by Jorg on Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jorg

Re: Garden House Studio built - Will this work?

Post by Jorg »

I rendered all the images again. Looks like its working now.

The dimensions of house are as seen in the drawing: 5m x 3m with 2.5m height.

I posted 2 wall options. I think I already know that Option 1 won't do much.