Relative Merit of Whisper Room vs building DIY

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

twelvetone

Relative Merit of Whisper Room vs building DIY

Post by twelvetone »

OK, so I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this question, but I wanted to ask here.

I'd like to put together a practice room for my drum kit; I've got an entire unfinished basement to work with. It's a sort of basic "L" shape with a crawl space occupying some additional area. The long side of the "L" is around 35 feet, and the short leg of the "L" is around 18 feet. The Ceiling is a fairly standard USA basement height, so the bottom of the joists are just under 8 feet. The floor is concrete.

I was considering getting a Whisper room with the "enhanced" construction. The total cost is somewhere around 15k.

Do you think it would be realistic for me to do something DIY with comparable (or ideally better) results at that cost? I'd even be willing to pay for plans. The whisper room I was looking at is around 10' 6" x 7' x 7'1" high. (External dimensions)

I don't need transmission to be removed entirely, but I would like to avoid aggravating my neighbors when I play. (we all know that even in a basement, drums carry). Having a usable recorded sound would be a "nice to have" as well.

Any thoughts?

Thanks very much,
Mike
Gregwor

Re: Relative Merit of Whisper Room vs building DIY

Post by Gregwor »

Mike, for $15,000 you can build a killer room in a room! But it will take a lot of time and effort. Personally I'm not convinced those whisper rooms work all that great.

Greg
It appears that you've made the mistake most people do. You started building without consulting this forum.