Sliding Glass Door Build

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

christian1042

Sliding Glass Door Build

Post by christian1042 »

Hello my name is Christian out of Los Angeles and this is my first post here.

Background: Recently moved into a new house and chose a intended bedroom to make a mixing/tracking combo room out of. The room is on the second floor of the house above the garage. The problem with the room is that it has a large (measurements below) sliding glass door that opens to a patio. This is part of the look of the house and lets a lot of light in and I want to keep that view and look. I have sealed it to the best of my ability but it does still leak sound in. I am more worried about blocking street sounds (cars, dogs, helicopters etc) from coming in then I am of sound going out. I have a sound meter and have measured about 110db slow C in the room with it not being noticeable from the driveway, measuring 60 db or so with cars driving by etc. I can't figure out how much isolation i need inside from the outside and need help measuring that.

The glass door is high quality double paned but i am not sure of the thickness of the glass. It is a https://westernwindowsystems.com/perfor ... glass-door

It is important to note that fully blocking and covering the door is not an option and letting the light in from the patio while maintaining the isolation from the street is the goal. My main option I am looking at is installing another wall on the glass door side wall with an additional sliding glass door, intended for studio use, that might offer the isolation I am looking for while still letting the outside view in through glass.
Note: I am not intending to do this DIY and am also looking for recommendations for contractors who could construct this for me in LA and sliding glass door recommendations for the project. Budget is somewhere in the $5,000-$10,000 range for the door and wall construction.

Room: Room is constructed out of drywall with a skylight cutout on the ceiling (am sealing the skylight with https://acousticalsolutions.com/product ... -seal-kit/

Room Dimensions: 19' x 11'10" x 9'2"
Sliding Door Dimensions: 11'11" x 6" x 7' 10"

Attached are the current layout of the room + pictures, and the current layout plus where i am thinking of adding a new wall with a second sliding door (dotted line)

My questions are:
1. Is the parallel wall with the sliding glass door the best option here? Should I be angling any part to prevent the parallel walls?
2. Is the 1' 11" gap between the current wall+window and proposed new wall+window enough for isolation? Can it be any smaller of a gap>
3. What are the best options for studio sliding glass doors that can achieve the size of my current (11'11" x 7'10") with the best sealing and isolation capabilities. I have read that single pane with the thickest glass is the best option for isolation.

P.S. the corner bass traps in the drawings are coming next week, all other acoustic treatment considerations are on hold until i know what I'm doing with the sliding door!

Thank you for any insight into the world of isolation while dealing with glass!
John Sayers
Site Admin

Re: Sliding Glass Door Build

Post by John Sayers »

Hi Christian Perhaps you could look at the room differently by putting that large window to use like this.
Christian_2.JPG
Christian_1.JPG
cheers
john
John Sayers Productions

If this site helps you build your studio please use the Donate button.
christian1042

Post by christian1042 »

Hey John looks great and I think that could bee done to solve the parallel walls problem. What do you think of the two tier sliding doors though, that would knock off around 2 feet from the width of the room if adding that second wall
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

You don't need to lose 2 feet to add another door.

BTW the model is to scale, your drawing isn't.

cheers
john

Christian_3.JPG
John Sayers Productions

If this site helps you build your studio please use the Donate button.
codiboi

Post by codiboi »

moving is great. But it's also expensive. In both material and time terms. To make things as simple as possible, I used the European windows- https://glawindows.com/european-windows/. Very good and of high quality. Quick and easy to install. If you're interested, ask)