Speaker Placement with Uneven Ceilings

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

godofmetalguita

Speaker Placement with Uneven Ceilings

Post by godofmetalguita »

Hello friends. I've just finished removing an unused closet in my control room. Now that the construction is complete I'm left with an untreated empty room. I now I need help with speaker placement. The room is has uneven ceiling height due to hvac

The room is 18' x 12' x 8'. I've made a Sketchup available for download in the 3D Warehouse. Just search: Red Wolf Control Room, or download here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Y_UMHe ... sp=sharing

As a starting point I've placed the speakers 4 inches off the wall aimed 60 degrees towards the mix position. For the tests the microphone was 47" high and 81.5" (6.8 ft) from the front wall in the center of the room(pictures are before aiming the microphone lol). There may be an issue with the mic I used, (Behringer ecm8000). It required the gain to be almost all the way up on the preamp (Audient iD14).
Measurements: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rvYiU5 ... sp=sharing

Walking around the room I can hear quite a few nulls. 70hz disappears completely just in front of the proposed mix position etc. The room sounds very uneven right now as expected and before I get too much further with treatment I'd like some advice on the mix position/speaker placement.

I'll be posting more pictures and readings as I go. I'm working on superchunks for all 4 corners right now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
DanDan

Re: Speaker Placement with Uneven Ceilings

Post by DanDan »

Is that a window behind the speakers? To minimise SBIR I suggest moving the speakers to almost touch the wall, or even the window.
Bass is non directional. Higher frequencies are much easier to treat, so don't sweat symmetry.
Studiotips SuperChunks are sometimes built 'lite' 24" wide. Very disappointing in my experience. Go 32"
Or much better go for square or rectangular corner traps. You could even hide that HVAC in one to visually match the other side. Perhaps HVAC ducting, damped, is a great bass trap.....
godofmetalguita

Yes that is a window behind the speakers. I plan to build a plug for it but haven't settled on a design. The other window is sealed and I'd like to be able to open at least part of the window.

I'm making the rear wall superchunks in 34" wedges out of rockwool. I need to be able to access the electrical panel in the front left corner so I'm thinking hinges on a panel like a cabinet. Perhaps a nested corner absorber would be best here for functionality? I'm still playing with a few ideas here.

More to come...
godofmetalguita

I've added superchunks in the rear corners and am almost done with the soffit traps in front corners. I'll post measurements as soon as I finish the columns.