Sketchup free

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

Gregwor

Re: Sketchup free

Post by Gregwor »

Lately my SketchUp files have been taking a while to upload to the 3D Warehouse. After a quick google search I learned that the maximum file size is 50MB. My file is at almost 48MB now.

Apparently you can't even pay for more storage. I saw some comment that recommended Trimble Connect. Maybe that would work, but I found a solution.

The main reason I use the 3D Warehouse storage is because I have SketchUp Make 2017 on my wife's laptop and I have 2016 on my main desktop computer. I use 3D Warehouse to convert the files so I can work on either computer at anytime.

Here is the solution:
Go File --> Save As
Choose the oldest version you require it to be. For me, it's 2016. I can then just email, dropbox, google drive, whatever the file to myself. The idea is that newer versions of SketchUp Make will open older version files. You can then save them as whatever version you want!

So, when you have a big old 100MB SketchUp file, don't fret, you can store it and convert it!

Greg
It appears that you've made the mistake most people do. You started building without consulting this forum.
Gregwor

Post by Gregwor »

Has anyone on the forum ever used Blender to 3D model studio things? It looks very capable of producing beautiful results. It looks like the Reaper of 3D modelling software which as a die hard Reaper user I know to be amazing, but the learning curve is steep.

The one downfall I can see with it so far is that it only supports 20 layers, however it's advised to use the outliner with groups to achieve countless layer views instead.

I may start digging into the software, so if anyone has any experience with it, please let me know whether or not to stay away or dive head first. It's free and with SketchUp Make not being supported anymore, this might be a good replacement for us.

Greg
It appears that you've made the mistake most people do. You started building without consulting this forum.
Dr.Tarr

Post by Dr.Tarr »

Post is aged bit but hopefully you dove head first - Blender's learning curve is not too steep.

You can do an amazing job on how the studio will look in the end. As far as angle etc. obviously it is weak but that is why I have a slide rule. I use blender for a few things and have some you-tube videos up on math and chemistry. No need to share the link as there are plenty of better suited architectural sites that would demonstrate what you can do as far as design.

I have done a couple renders of a 10hx18wx30l drum studio as I would like it to look first. Backwards, ya!

But now trying to see how to use some of the features to figure out how make it functional. Experimenting with using a light and adjusting the walls with mirror type of material..... fascinating results.
Gregwor

Post by Gregwor »

I gave up on Blender as when I started learning it, I just couldn't get past the fact that I couldn't type in a distance such as 21/32 inches. It sure does look nice though!

Greg
Dr.Tarr

Post by Dr.Tarr »

Greg,

Working around the distances is a bit easier using the metric side of things. :)

The real draw back is it doesn't create plans / drawings. Very good for running through a studio like that graphic artist did for John's last posted customers studio. Even has the ability to animate the musicians. Like usual I am doing it backwards and using Blender to model and design what I would "like" the studio like first. When I am done I will probably post a walk through here - with all the questions of how to make function follow form! :shot:

Kelly :)