First post, How to approach this 48hz dip?

How to use REW, What is a Bass Trap, a diffuser, the speed of sound, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

wesley

First post, How to approach this 48hz dip?

Post by wesley »

Hey everyone! long time lurker but have never posted. I am stuck on what my next move is to get my control room sounding a little better, just got some GIK soffit and bass traps on my back wall, also replaced some 703 with some GIK gridfusors in my cloud along with some primacoustic london panels behind my speakers also added some 703/diffusors opposite of my door all this last week. my room is sounding better, but would like to take it to the next level. If any of you are willing to look over my REW file in the dropbox link it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Wes

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bj7x3bdmpvbt ... mtPsa?dl=0
Gregwor

Re: First post, How to approach this 48hz dip?

Post by Gregwor »

Welcome!

Your measurements are either not calibrated properly, or else you did in fact capture them with your speakers way too loud. As you can see, you're peaking around 106dB! You should be around 86dB.
SPL.png
Also, it appears that something went wrong because your left and right measurements are identical. That's an impossibility.

Before you start worrying about your frequency response, you need to get your time domain under control. You are averaging about 150ms which seems way too short for the size of your control room.

Regarding the dip your post is about, it might be due to poor modal distribution which is ultimately caused by the dimensions of your room. When you built the room did you check it against the R. Walker BBC 1996 guidelines? What are your room dimensions?

Also, did you take REW measurements before and after each acoustic treatment device was swapped out/installed? This is critical to determine whether or not the devices helped or not. Personally I don't think having that diffuser overhead is a good idea. Also, there seems to be some things in your room that could be causing reflections such the screen to your left or possibly your console. I can see in your impulse response that you have a strong reflection happening at 5.28ms.

I hope that helps!

Greg
It appears that you've made the mistake most people do. You started building without consulting this forum.
wesley

Re: First post, How to approach this 48hz dip?

Post by wesley »

Thanks for the input and feedback Greg, the room is 19'8"Wx16'7"Lx9'1"H. I am going to retake measurements and go from there. looks like I got some work to do.