Bedroom Control Room Advice

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

godofmetalguita

Bedroom Control Room Advice

Post by godofmetalguita »

Edit: The closet has been demolished thus a new thread started.

Hello friends!

I've been working in this room for a few years with decent results but I'd like to make it better. Currently I have sixteen 2'x4'x4" 703/Rockwool traps in the room along with two 6.5'x4'x6" mineral wool panels on the front and back walls. While the traps added a major improvement I've never been happy with the room. I'd like a more built in solution that looks cleaner and less cluttered than the traps, and most importantly I'd like a flatter room.

I'm planning on building superchunks on the south wall and I'm considering soffit (flush) mounting my monitors at the same time. I have a few concerns and would like some input.

The room has a soffit on one side of the ceiling that conceals HVAC/Plumbing as well as a support beam. There is a big airspace between the framing and the duct work (around 10" all the way around). I'm considering pulling the drywall off of this soffit and stuffing it with rockwool. Thoughts?

My monitors (Mackie HR824) are passive radiator design. Are these unsuitable for soffit mounting? I'm not married to the idea but I'm also not married to these speakers.
Last edited by godofmetalguita on Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
konspan96

Re: Bedroom Control Room Advice

Post by konspan96 »

I am new to this forum and not professional at all but some pictures would be much more helpful.
Also i have no idea how to do it but in my newbie opinion some rew testing will be necessary as you have an existing room .

:)
Gregwor

Post by Gregwor »

Can you show us where all of the panels are? Also, it would be great to see all of the furniture and equipment.

As mentioned above, you should do some REW tests to help identify potential problems.

Greg
It appears that you've made the mistake most people do. You started building without consulting this forum.
DanDan

Post by DanDan »

The Mackies are not suitable for Soffit Mounting.