Looking for help with room treatment in my new studio space.

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

hypnotoad

Looking for help with room treatment in my new studio space.

Post by hypnotoad »

Hello everyone! :)

I have been directed here from Reddit. I'm a complete noob at anything to do with room treatment so please bare with me. I'm currently in the process of moving from my tiny production space that sounded pretty terrible to something a bit more comfier.
I recently purchased a nice big workstation to comfortably put all my equipment on and I am now looking for help with room treatment. The room is going to be used mainly for music production and mixing (predominantly techno). I just want basic treatment. I can hear many discrepancies in my current setup particularly the low end which has nowhere to go.

Budget: Around $500

CONSTRUCTION DETAILS:
The room is on ground floor, which is covered in carpet. The dimensions are roughly - 240cm w, 360 L, 140 h. The house is made of bricks. back wall is next to a hallway,the right wall is next to a living room and the left wall is next to a bedroom. The wall are made of plaster, with the front having bricks aswell.

ROOM LAYOUT:
My workstation is sitting infront of a window which I imagine would not be doing me any favours (getting some drapes ASAP to do a bit of sound dampening?). I'm planning on getting some desk stands for my monitors so the the tweeters are at ear level (maybe even get some floor stands and place them next to my desk?). The monitors are the JBL LSR305's which i plan to swap for ADAM a7x's down the line. There is a door in the back which makes a bit on noise when closed for the low end.

Front:
Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
Side:
Webp.net-resizeimage2.jpg
Back:
Webp.net-resizeimage3.jpg
ISOLATION:
I don't own a meter but I will purchase one soon. The surrounding area is suburban and very quiet. not many cars drive past.

TREATMENT:
So from what I've learnt, I am thinking of getting some bass traps in the corners and then a few DIY acoustic panels on the surrounding walls.

Plan:

- Get Stands for monitors
- Get Drapes
- Get Bass traps/Acoustic Panels

Things to research:

What else should i do with my windows?
How many acoustic panels will i need?
What should i do about my door?
Should I use a desk stand or floor stand for Monitors?

Thanks so much for reading and apologies if some of this is vague!

Allan.
Gregwor

Re: Looking for help with room treatment in my new studio sp

Post by Gregwor »

Welcome Allan!

Do you own the house? Don't waste your money on a meter because you aren't going to be addressing your isolation. Luckily, since you aren't increasing your isolation, that will help with low frequency response. This is because you won't be containing your low frequency information inside your room. It will simply blow through your walls.
getting some drapes ASAP to do a bit of sound dampening?
Drapes will attenuate some high frequencies but will not help with low frequencies.
- Get Bass traps/Acoustic Panels
Bass traps will help a ton. After that, first reflection points should be addressed. That includes your side walls, a cloud and also your rear wall. It is easy to kill too much high end so I recommend taking a lot of REW measurements and probably avoid covering your panels with fabric until your treatment stage is complete. This will allow you to add film or slats or whatever to the face of the insulation before fabric.

Here are instructions for using REW:
http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewt ... =3&t=21122

Personally, I recommend the Dayton Audio UMM-6 microphone because it is cheap and really easy to use with REW.

Greg
It appears that you've made the mistake most people do. You started building without consulting this forum.
hypnotoad

Post by hypnotoad »

Hi Greg, thanks! So glad I stumbled upon this group. So much great knowledge being shared.

Thanks for getting back to me too.
Do you own the house?
I do not own the house, it's a rental. Right good point on the Isolation side of things.
Bass traps will help a ton.
Awesome will get some fitted in, along with some panels and clouds. It's not a huge room, do you think 2 panels on either side would do it? Also rear wall wise would I just add panels for killing reflection?

Thanks for your help! I'll get a few of these things done and then post a reference.
Gregwor

Post by Gregwor »

Awesome will get some fitted in, along with some panels and clouds. It's not a huge room, do you think 2 panels on either side would do it? Also rear wall wise would I just add panels for killing reflection?
I certainly wouldn't say that 2 panels will fix everything but it's a start for sure! Get your first reflection points and bass traps first.

Greg
It appears that you've made the mistake most people do. You started building without consulting this forum.