Garage possibility

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

Fred Pearson

Garage possibility

Post by Fred Pearson »

I'm looking to build a studio in my garden, and evaluating potential shells. There's a company local to me that provide timber garages, which I believe would be the ideal starting point for a MSM system, as the framing is already there, I just have to add mass to the outer skin before building the inner leaf. The only issue I can see is that they build the walls in frames before shipping and installing, and each of these panels has a 2x4 stud on the edge which meet on a corner, which I believe leaves the corner unaccessible for adding mass to. See images attached.

Assuming I'm correct that this gap exists - am I right in thinking this would compromise the sound proofing as there would be 4 weak points (one in each corner) with less mass than the rest of the walls?

Thanks,
Fred
Paulus87

Re: Garage possibility

Post by Paulus87 »

Hi,

Just add more 2x4s there? As long as it’s sealed air tight then it’s not an issue.

However, wouldn’t it be cheaper and better just to build completely from scratch? You could design it exactly how you want it with the best dimensions you can achieve etc etc. Timber is fairly cheap and if you have a concrete slab already then the hard work is already done.

Paul
Paul
John Steel

Post by John Steel »

Hello Fred,
Plus one for designing your own building! For the reasons Paul has mentioned and so you can be certain that the structure will support the weight of all the extra mass you'll be adding to it. If you bought the prefab, you'd have to beef up the doors and rebuild the windows anyway. ATB John.
Fred Pearson

Post by Fred Pearson »

Great advice, thanks both! I was leaning towards a pre fab garage so it doesn't draw attention to itself and can be 'disguised' as a relatively normal looking building.

For some reason, I hadn't even considered building my own outer shell but now you've planted that seed, I'm extremely interested in it.

Back to the drawing board!
John Steel

Post by John Steel »

Back to the drawing board!
If I had a fiver . . . you'll get there Fred.