How do you mount outlet boxes at proper depth?

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

antknee75

How do you mount outlet boxes at proper depth?

Post by antknee75 »

I'm planning to use hat channel with two layers of 5/8 sheet rock and was wondering how you mount the outlet box to extend to the face of the sheet rock? Are you using extenders? Or do you mount them normally and just use long screws to mount the outlet to the box? I'm trying to keep it sealed properly. My space will end up with about 10 outlets, so these need to be done right.
Gregwor

Re: How do you mount outlet boxes at proper depth?

Post by Gregwor »

Personally, I would surface mount everything. Having so many boxes through the sheathing is a recipe for disaster. If you insist on having them go through the sheathing, you could install lumber onto the wall stud at the proper depth so that you can anchor the back of the box to it rather than the side like a traditional install. I still don't believe you'll get a perfect seal/mass with putty though.

Greg
It appears that you've made the mistake most people do. You started building without consulting this forum.