New Vocal Booth Build

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

mchit

Re: New Vocal Booth Build

Post by mchit »

Gregwor wrote:I think that looks good from what I can see! Good work!
Thanks! In that case, I’ll go ahead and seal it in today and install the stops in the next couple days. I’ll keep you posted. :)

Matt
mchit

Post by mchit »

So I got the first set of stops installed. Unfortunately, i can't get it to seal perfectly. On the latch side of the door, part of the door doesn't fully seal. (I can see light coming through about 1/3-1/2 of it in the middle). The top, bottom, and hinge side of the door are all sealed, but there is a fair amount of sound bleed through the latch side because of the leak. The middle of the door seems to have a gap that is about 1/8in wider than the top or bottom.

Also, is it normal for the door to not want to sit flush anymore with the weatherstripping in? I haven't installed the door closer or second layer of stops yet because I didn't want to have to go and redo everything if I screwed it up. I can hold it flush with some pressure, but otherwise it pushes out by about 1/2-3/4in. Is this because the hinge side is tight? Or is this normal?

Thanks so much!

Matt
mchit

Post by mchit »

I just found this in my searching. (Interestingly, it came up in a google search and not on the forum searches I was making). http://johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11414

Looks like what you sent me from Rod, but with even more details. At this point, I feel like I may need to take the whole thing apart and retry. I've realized that the jamb isn't perfectly level, which I'm sure doesn't help. It's fractional, but there. Pretty sure it has to do with the fact that my basement floor has no 2ft that are the same. I installed the jamb with a level, but wonder it it went out slightly with the door hanging. Or I could have screwed it up. Also possible.

In either case, I think at this point I'm gonna have to remove the stops and try it all again. I tried some minor adjustments of the foam to no avail. Have you tried caulking behind the foam where there are gaps? How has it worked for you (or anyone else)?

Thanks Greg!

Matt
Gregwor

Post by Gregwor »

In either case, I think at this point I'm gonna have to remove the stops and try it all again. I tried some minor adjustments of the foam to no avail. Have you tried caulking behind the foam where there are gaps? How has it worked for you (or anyone else)?
I haven't done that.

Sounds like you've got it under control! Any updates to share?

Greg
It appears that you've made the mistake most people do. You started building without consulting this forum.
mchit

Post by mchit »

I haven't done that.
Oh yeah? And you've never had issues with the door sealing all around? You are certainly way more talented than I then! Haha.

As for the door, no updates yet. The past little bit has been pretty rough (deaths in the family and some other stuff), so nothing has gotten done in the past 2 weeks. The booth is good enough to use in the evenings right now for recording as it removes about 15-20db of sound, so my work doesn't wake anyone up, and the low grade ambient evening noise is gone. Not ideal, but until I get it fully set in the next little bit, it'll do.

Thanks again!

Matt