Weatherstrip, gasket and door bottom question

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

afavreau

Weatherstrip, gasket and door bottom question

Post by afavreau »

HI,

I'm trying to build a super-door for my studio and I now need to find some soft gasket and magnetic weatherstrip. My plan is the same as attached except I have only one wall and 2 door stops instead of three (see plan attached).

Question 1:
Could someone explain to me what is a magnetic weatherstrip? I'm not sure how that can work on a solid wood door. How will the magnet work if there's no metal? And is it the same as a door gasket?

Question 2:
I'm not sure where to find the soft gasket and magnetic weatherstrip. Someone could give me some options?

Question 3:
Options for a door bottom would be nice too

Thanks
Andre Favreau
Elusive Sounds

Re: Weatherstrip, gasket and door bottom question

Post by Elusive Sounds »

Howdy neighbour!

GM type-k trunk rubber is long out of production. Facca Fasteners here in Canada carries the 4731 type which is an equivalent.

http://www.faccafasteners.com/Products/00021.htm

As for the magnetic seals, see here for the Zero International Stuff Rod mentions in his book:

https://us.allegion.com/en/home/product ... ional.html

But trust me, the Zero stuff is not easy to find in these parts, and the lead times are long. You could check with Sevy Doors and Royal Doors in Moncton, they have other similar products for magnetic seals and automatic door bottoms. I was looking for this stuff in February.

Take a look at the door design by Soundman2020 in this thread:

http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewt ... =2&t=20660

If you don't already use Sketchup, you should learn it and run a search for "Gervais+Super+Door" in the 3D Wearhouse:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/ ... oors?hl=fr

Best,
Marc
Elusive Sounds

Post by Elusive Sounds »

Here is a Sketchup model of the 4731 I made that might be useful to you.

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/ ... unk-Rubber
afavreau

Post by afavreau »

Ha ha! In Moncton? That’s nice! And I’m guessing you’re French lime me, right?
Andre Favreau
Elusive Sounds

Post by Elusive Sounds »

Oui monsieur!
afavreau

Post by afavreau »

Thanks for your help!

I'm still wondering why does Rod Gervais recommend to put a "Magnetic" weatherstrip on an wood door though? How can the magnet work?

Thanks
Andre Favreau
Gregwor

Post by Gregwor »

I'm still wondering why does Rod Gervais recommend to put a "Magnetic" weatherstrip on an wood door though? How can the magnet work?
I also question things like automatic door bottoms. I own one and my friend owns one. Neither of them are air tight. The module slides down and on the sides, it's just open air. I've done so many hours of research and all of them seem to have this flaw. I just don't get it.

Greg
It appears that you've made the mistake most people do. You started building without consulting this forum.
afavreau

Post by afavreau »

You may need a Threshold or you can build one of wood. That's what I had for my former studio between the 2 doors and it worked great! I also had an automatic Drop seal at another studio and it was fine!
https://www.tmsoundproofing.com/Soundproof-Door-Saddle/
Andre Favreau
afavreau

Post by afavreau »

But just so we don't loose the topic, I'm still wondering why does Rod Gervais recommend a "Magnetic" weatherstrip on an wood door? How can that magnet work? Is it because of the sheet lead under the 3/4" MDF that it would stick?

If so, then do I need to buy an Ajustable Neprone Gasket like this instead?
https://www.tmsoundproofing.com/Heavy-D ... tised.html

Thanks
Andre Favreau
MariusP

Post by MariusP »

I am also getting ready to build doors and get seals. I too am curious about the "magnetic seals".

Most plans I've seen have a recipe like this: Build a massive heavy door, and then hang it.

It seems to me it would be easier to go about it like this.
1. Start with an ordinary solid-core door (no window – keep it simple)
2. Install the drop-down threshold seal, at the bottom of the door
3. Make the door frame and put it in place
4. Hang the door with several heavy-duty hinges
5. Build the jamb for the door and put in seals
6. Add a layer of mass to the hung door that is “recessed” to create the 'vault' like interlock design.
7. Build the jamb for that layer and put in seals
8. Add another layer of mass to the hung door assembly that is recessed even further to create the 'vault' like interlock design.
9. Build the jamb for that layer and put in seals

This way you are not having to lift and hang a HEAVY door. Will this work?
Gregwor

Post by Gregwor »

I'm still wondering why does Rod Gervais recommend a "Magnetic" weatherstrip on an wood door? How can that magnet work?
I've never personally used magnetic seals so I can't comment on them. I've only used the 4731 seal.
This way you are not having to lift and hang a HEAVY door. Will this work?
I feel that applying the heavy layers to the slab would be a massive headache. You need nicely rolled out glue, screws, many clamps around the edge and clamped cauls. How on earth would you do that on a hung door?

Buy a blank solid core slab. Add extra layers of material to add mass and create a bank vault style door. Build a nice hardwood jamb. Paint or veneer these items. Install an automatic door bottom on your first layer of beef up. Install your hinges. Install the jamb, then the door. Install your stops and seals. Install your push plates, handles and automatic door closer.

These doors are heavy. No doubt. But with a few people, they're totally movable. Use wood wedges under the door to hold it up while you mount the hinges into the jamb.

Greg
It appears that you've made the mistake most people do. You started building without consulting this forum.