A Way to Make Foam Bass Traps Effective??

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

dpestlin

A Way to Make Foam Bass Traps Effective??

Post by dpestlin »

In addition to having 5 bales of insulation in trihedral corners, i have some foam bass traps in some other trihedral corners due to the room set-up and budget. I realize that these are known to be inneffective at "trapping" lower frequencies.

However, I am wondering if I have found a way to make them more efficient. Based on my limited research, it seems that leaving an air gap near corner bass traps makes them more effective. In the corner, I have a 12 inch cube block of acoustical foam (2 bass traps merged together). I have a 7 inch air gap above it, and a 7 inch air gap between the foam block and the wall. (see 2 attached pictures)

My questions are:

1. Will these air gaps make the bass trap more effective at absorbing lower frequencies, or should I shove the bass trap closer to the corner?

2. Is there a more optimal spacing for these air gaps?

3. Will this cube-shaped bass trap absorb more lower lower frequencies than a normal corner-shaped foam bass trap (of 1/2 the size)?

Thanks so much for any insights.
John Steel

Post by John Steel »

Last edited by John Steel on Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gregwor

Re: A Way to Make Foam Bass Traps Effective??

Post by Gregwor »

1. Will these air gaps make the bass trap more effective at absorbing lower frequencies, or should I shove the bass trap closer to the corner?
In theory, yes.
2. Is there a more optimal spacing for these air gaps?
The further from the wall, the lower the frequencies it will target. You could do some tests to find what is optimal for your room.
3. Will this cube-shaped bass trap absorb more lower lower frequencies than a normal corner-shaped foam bass trap (of 1/2 the size)?
I'd think so but honestly, that's the first time I've seen that question asked!

Greg
It appears that you've made the mistake most people do. You started building without consulting this forum.